Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to see your pictures of ford 9" that you have in your jeeps. I am also open to ideas of what you think you would have done different in your 9" build up. So bring the pics on.

Chris

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
muhaha $5 and you can see all the pics you want of 9"!!

seriously go with a hp housing and at least 31 spline shafts (aftermarket) those stock ones suck. The 9 is a great axle when set up right

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
i just got done swapping in a 9" in my yj and it worked out perfect, it's not a hp and i didn't have a prob at all. also the 31 spline is a great upgrade, slap in spool and call it done. make sure you've got a sye,and a cv drive shaft from jess and no prob's at all.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I just did a 9" swap in the rear. I went with a standard pinion because Currie does not recommend the high pinion 9" for over 33" or so. I also did not go with the full floating option I was planning on because Currie also recommended against it for leakage and strength. (BTW - I am running 33's now and I will do 35''s or 36's later this year with ARB). I did not want to spend the $$ either for discs. Also, rear discs causes master cylinder and prop valve complications.

If I had it to do again, only thing I would do different is an aluminum carrier (a-la 4wd article) to save TONS of weight. You give up very little strength and save like 50-100 lbs. That is worth it.

Also, I might have upgraded the yoke size, but I didn't have the $$ leftover to modify the driveshaft, AND I wanted to carry only 1 replacement U joint, not 2 types. I guess they are small......

·
Banned
757 Posts
I say the best part of a 9" build up is throwing it away and building a 60:flipoff2:

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
pnut333 said:
I just did a 9" swap in the rear. I went with a standard pinion because Currie does not recommend the high pinion 9" for over 33" or so. I also did not go with the full floating option I was planning on because Currie also recommended against it for leakage and strength. (BTW - I am running 33's now and I will do 35''s or 36's later this year with ARB). I did not want to spend the $$ either for discs. Also, rear discs causes master cylinder and prop valve complications.

If I had it to do again, only thing I would do different is an aluminum carrier (a-la 4wd article) to save TONS of weight. You give up very little strength and save like 50-100 lbs. That is worth it.

Also, I might have upgraded the yoke size, but I didn't have the $$ leftover to modify the driveshaft, AND I wanted to carry only 1 replacement U joint, not 2 types. I guess they are small......
Sounds like currie took you on a ride full of B.S. Full floaters leaking? Not stronger??? Are you crazy?

So you payed curry to build you a stock 9"? :rainbow:

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
havent heard of the hp being weak for 33's...yet

·
Registered
134 Posts
:cool:

9" Ford as posted in For Sale Forum:

Ford 9" Rear - From a '79 Ford HD Pick-Up, cut down to early Bronco size by Chick Burgnolo Custom Car Builder, 58 inches wide, WMF to WMF. High Fill Port, Drain Port , No Brakes - shoe type backup plate go with it - $300
Detroit Locker - 31 Spline w/new carrier bearings - $350
Stranger Diff housing - $350
HD Daytona Pinion Bearing Suipport for Over-size Bearing, new bearings - $175
Strange Axles, new roller baering - $375
Strange Steel Billet 1350 U-Joint Yoke - $175
4.30 Gear Set - $125
Skid and Truss Bar Available - $125

All together $1500 / BRO

[email protected]

·
Registered
14 Posts
We went to http://www.sunrayengineering.com/
The reason for this is we are in the UK and the junkyards don't have the goodies you do!!!!
They are being fitted to a Challenge prepared Cj7 360, spring over 36x12.50x15 Super swampers 4.88/ARB

The reasons for the hybrid 9inch is simple the weight compared to the D60/D44,the better ground clearance compared to a D44 ,the Sunray 1550 front and rear axles ARE a lot stronger than proroc 60 and I can have "behind the pumpkin tie rod" all highsteer,all shafts are 35 spline
I look forward to trying to break them!!!

Cain BamBam Poulton
Dark Siderz Race Team

www.darksiderz.co.uk

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
pnut333 said:

Not to impugn your judgement, but let me get this straight: so you are unwilling to plumb a prop valve into your junk, and maybe pull an o-ring or two in your M/C, which will let you run the (arguably more effective) disks and save like 50 lbs right there or something, but you are thinking that the costs and drawbacks of an AL housing are worth the weight savings? Hrm. The setup of disks, with the brackets and brakelines on the axle, is the hardest part of the setup - and if someone else is doing this so-called "hard" part, then go disks ALL THE WAY!

PS The person who told you about FF being undesirable as a weak and leaky option (??????) should avoid getting high on their own supply.

Good luck making your own decisions,
Bob

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Trango said:

Not to impugn your judgement, but let me get this straight: so you are unwilling to plumb a prop valve into your junk, and maybe pull an o-ring or two in your M/C, which will let you run the (arguably more effective) disks and save like 50 lbs right there or something, but you are thinking that the costs and drawbacks of an AL housing are worth the weight savings? Hrm. The setup of disks, with the brackets and brakelines on the axle, is the hardest part of the setup - and if someone else is doing this so-called "hard" part, then go disks ALL THE WAY!

PS The person who told you about FF being undesirable as a weak and leaky option (??????) should avoid getting high on their own supply.

Good luck making your own decisions,
Bob

1) 9" drum brakes vs disks will not save you 50lbs. They run much small drums than a FF rear like a 14bolt or a 60. (I'd still run disks though)

2) The FF leaking part sorta makes sense. Most 9"s that I have seen use 1/4" tubes and are butt-welded to the center section. They flex a lot more than a D60 or 14. Sure you can weld on a gusset, but maybe Currie doesn't like doing this for customers since this could affect leaf mounts, or coil mounts, etc.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BrettM said:
I can never decide if it's best to yell and scream at these people to search or to just ignore them and hope they just go away...
First off I did search but I did not find what I was looking for or what people would have done different. Plus the search would not accept 9 as a search term.

The 9" I have is a 31 spline big bearing unit with 4.88's which I would like to shave the bottom as much as possible, so any pics of 9" inchers wich have been clearenced would be great.

UPNOVER-----You underestimate the power of the low compression, High blowby 2.5HO.:flipoff2:

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
hmm ive heard of this, once i had the Low compression high blowby 4cyl withthe cracked head option

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
what diff does the currie HP unit use? i know they use an 8.8 ring gear, so i'm assuming they have to use an 8.8 diff? a buddy just picked up an 8.8 diff to replace the busted spool he has in his HP currie 9 and called me to say the 8.8 carrier is too wide.:confused: :confused:

anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
The Currie HP 9" uses a reverse cut 8.8 ring and pinion with 8.8 carrier bearings on a 9" carrier. They do use a slightly different carrier bearing race, it's not as wide. I'm in the process of setting one up know.

nosliw said:
what diff does the currie HP unit use? i know they use an 8.8 ring gear, so i'm assuming they have to use an 8.8 diff? a buddy just picked up an 8.8 diff to replace the busted spool he has in his HP currie 9 and called me to say the 8.8 carrier is too wide.:confused: :confused:

anyone have any ideas?

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
I like Curries hp 9" idea, my question is why arent more fronts setup like this, i cant even find a pic of a front with this setup

·
Registered
550 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trango Wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have a good point about the brake weight, I didn't look into that, but modifying the m/c doesn't make me comfortable, and it seems most people I talk to who modify the prop valve have mixed results (some work, most others have problems with balance on the street)

As for the aluminum center section, that would save only 20lbs, so maybe it wouldn't be worth it.

As far as FF, The weakness we due to using a stock locking hub on the rear. I wanted this for flat tow, and if I couldn't use a locking hub, then I didn't want the FF. Although Currie did say it is prone to leaking.

As it was, I was at the end of my budget, so even if I wanted the discs or Aluminum center, or FF, I couldn't have pulled it off.

Thanks for the comments. :flipoff2:

Oh, and Jason R: I have more time than money these last few months, so I had Currie build me a 9". It was not stock, they modified the width to my CJ, installed the ARB, set up new 4.10 gears, and put a CJ type yoke on. Most of these things I don't have the tools to do on my own, so :flipoff2: :D Thanks for the input, though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts