Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched every message board I can think of and any possible websites, but I get no answer to whether or not the 9" uses carrier breaks. As far as talking to people, one person tells me the 9" uses them, another tells me they don't. But neither of these people have worked on 9" before.
Will someone who has worked on a 9" tell me if there are or aren't carrier breaks? I'm chosing between a mini spool, or a detroit. If I choose the the mini spool, I need to know if I can use the existing carrier or if I have to get a new carrier to run my 4.56's.
Thanks

·
Registered
764 Posts
i've been down the mini spool road before. i used one in my 78 bronco with 35 x 16 boggers on bart wheels( that makes for a pretty good width) it lasted a bout three months of dayly driving.
and then :nuke: hey at least when they break, you can drive home on the side that didn't stripout. plus you can make some hellaious burnouts then.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I didn't break the mini spool, but I did break a heavy duty cromo cross pin it only lasted 4 trip's on 39.5 tsl's

Throw in a full spool and be done with it.

·
Registered
764 Posts
what exactly makes the full spool stronger than the mini? most of my problems was with striping the spines out of the mini. is it different metal, spline length or ???? oh uea, i did bust the cross pin once too.( yea i know theres no cross pin to break on the full spool, just thought i'd throw it in)

·
Registered
80 Posts
75F100 said:
what exactly makes the full spool stronger than the mini? most of my problems was with striping the spines out of the mini. is it different metal, spline length or ????
The reason I think the full spool is better is due that is all one piece. you can elimnate the cross pin and the stock carrier.

I'm sure you could strip the splines out of a full spool if you tryed hard enough but I would think a shaft would let loose first.

as for the reason the splines stripping out I would think it was some sh!t metal or the splines were barely ingaged. it might have been a poor quialty spool that wasn't hardened too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts