Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've already started compiling the parts to put a Ford 9in under the back of my Pathfinder, and will be working on the 9in SAS soon afterward.

i need opinions on which route to take. i'd like to keep it as cheap as possible, without sacrificing strength and reliability. that means leaf springs...?

how does everyone feel about swapping the rear from a 4-link with track bar to a leaf spring setup? ultimately, i'll probably do a leaf spring SAS up front so it's not so sacrilegous to have leaves in the back also. the reason i'm wanting to do leaves is because to do links right, i'd have to get all new links made. if i'm going to do that, i'm going to do it right, with some 1.75 .250w lowers and 1.50 .250w uppers. it'd be a shame to make some fancy links only to keep the stock geometry. then it snowballs... if i want to alter the geometry and triangulate and/or long-arm the uppers, that's even more custom work and more money!

if i just swap to leaves, it makes the packaging much simpler and thus much cheaper. the main issue with leaf springs is that my pathfinder is unibody. i think if i channel the "frame rails" with some plate steel, it should be strong enough to provide a sturdy "frame" for the shackles and hangers.

all the cool guys have links, but i like to be different, and we all know leaf springs can perform just as well. i'm not racing King of the Hammers, i just want something a "little" more capable than i have now.

and before you post, no, i don't want to put 44s under it.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Here's how i look at it. Are you going to want to switch back to links later? If so, may as well save ur pennys an not do an extra step. Leafs are very predictable and pretty easy to set up. especially since about every setup in the world has been done before with massive ammounts of info on em. I would scope some Xj builds, as they are the similar weight/wheelbase/etc as ur R50

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I've got a 9" sitting around if you're interested. I'm close to you as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts