Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the search and got no real answer. Ok first i am doing a SAS on my 95 F150. I can get a matching dana 44 front and matching 9 inch rear all set up with gears and lockers. My question is can the nine inch rear work with out the ABS sensor?? or what would it do if I do not hook up the sensor?? Or would i be better off rear gearing my 8.8?? I do not want to go to one ton shiat cuase it is just to damn much money. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You get no speedo, no tranny shifts (limp mode only), etc.

I'd regear the 8.8 or figure out how to get an excitor in another diff or on the xfer output shaft.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Or you can spend a little more money, and go with the 10.25 in the rear, and make the front 8 lug.

If your into alot of fab work, there was a few guys that installed the tone ring into a D60 or 9".

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to get flamed

I know this is stupid but what all does it take to make the front 8 lug?? I know search but that does not help me with what is involved. Thanks and flame away:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You'll need a 3/4t Chevy (late 70s, early 80s D44 or 10bolt should work) from the knuckles out, or a late-70s F250 D44 from the spindles out.

I believe that's correct.

If not, SEARCH!!! :flipoff2:

Anybody know how many points were on the Dodge D60 excitor rings? That might be one option aside from welding an 8.8 ring to a D60 or 9" carrier.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It doesn't matter how many points were on the ring since you can adjust at the PSOM. The "constant" the PSOM uses when you are recalibrating is the number of teeth on the exciter ring, so by changing the constant you can use whatever exciter ring. This is what people who have the 10.25 have been doing to keep the speedo working right on later rigs.

Personally I'd shitcan the ABS anyhow, it sucks. My old work van had 4WABS and it made for some scary driving when heavily loaded.

If you are spending the money why not get a real rear axle. A 9" is only a slight improvement over an 8.8", and where it counts for wheeling (shaft size, housing strength, etc, they are virtually identical. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Ditch the ABS. You will not have it on the front anyway. It hurts more off road than it helps.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
OffRoadPoser said:
It doesn't matter how many points were on the ring since you can adjust at the PSOM.
Yeah, I realize that... but I thought you only got a handful of choices for the "constant"??

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The 92+ Fords need to have the tone ring in order to run the ABS, Shift points, Speedo. With out it you hit the brakes and the rear will lock up and the front not grab, or it's vise-vera. I had a spider gear blow in my 95 150. It took out the tone ring, well part of it. Could hardly drive the thing. Now I guess you can ditch ABS controller, but you will still have a problem if you have an auto, and still no speedo.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks all

Ok made a few calls and I was able to find a 95 10.25 cheap so all I will have to do is change the gears. What all will I have to change on the 5 lug 44 to make it 8 lug?? I figure this will be easier than adapting the nine inch or a 60. Thanks for the input

1 - 10 of 10 Posts