Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a buddy of mine buy a 81 ford bronco for me, and I would like to know what the axles are. It has a 351 and an automatic. I'm pretty sure it's a 9" in the reae, but I'm just guessing. Any help would be appreciated. Also, what transfer case came stock? Thanks. :smokin:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Probably has the 9" rear and should have a d44 TTB in the front.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
bmxking93 said:
Probably has the 9" rear and should have a d44 TTB in the front.
to make matters worse, it's early ttb. the rear axle is the only thing worth hanging on to. that should be a 351m so a 460 will basically bolt in.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I do believe the switch from the 9inch to the 8.8 in 87. Dana44 TTB up front for sure. It will be ok unless you do hardcore wheeling. And that is a New Process 208 xcase. Auto tranny is the C6. Bulletproof, but no overdrive.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how hard would it be to do a solid axle swap, or would it even be worth my time and money, and just leave the ttb?

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
skout4lyf said:
how hard would it be to do a solid axle swap, or would it even be worth my time and money, and just leave the ttb?

search this board. It's easy :D and well worth it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
maybe I'm just retarded, but I'm not seeing anything on swaps. :confused:

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
Well at least you can admit it :flipoff2:

search for "bronco SAS solid axle swap" and that should get you plenty of reading....

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
JJS said:
to make matters worse, it's early ttb. .
IIRC, 1980 was the early one. I believe '81 is when they updated it and it remained essentially the same thru '96.
The 9" to 8.8" changeover began in '83 on some models. By '87, they all are 8.8s.

The TTB suspension is much more offroad capable than many will care to admit. It's 'bad rap' comes mainly from the glut of shitty quality suspension kits & stuff that plague the aftermarket for it (improper steering corrections, stiff inflexible coils, etc.). The amount of fabbing (if any) to correct most concerns with it is much less than swapping the whole thing out. It'll handle 35x12.50s fine.
If you do swap though, I'd be looking at slapping a D60 under there, as the TTB axle is already a HP D44.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
What's bad about the early ttb? Other than the passenger side axle being held in with a retainer plate like a 9" VS the later model's C clip setup, I've never noticed anything different between an 80-82 axle and an 83 and later one. Unless really early 80 stuff was oddball or something. We put an 80 TTB pumpkin in my buddy's 84 F150 quite a while back. Everything was the same other than that, axles and U-joints were the same.

·
Registered
660 Posts
If you want to do a SAS under you Bronco head over to fullsizebronco.com where they have their own forum just for that subject, helped me out immensely.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Whn you break it replace it. otherwise im going to throw in my .02 and say it will suprise you with what it can do...given the right driver

1 - 13 of 13 Posts