Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Axle - 79' Ford F250 dana 44...
After two hours of utilizing the search function, I have come up empty handed for answers. I the past, I have always just tightened the spindle nuts down and have never had a problem. I was looking at a bunch of posts in the Yota forums about a specific torqe the nuts needed to be at. Can anyone help me out with some answers, and what others are doing??

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
Lincolnloc said:
Axle - 79' Ford F250 dana 44...
After two hours of utilizing the search function, I have come up empty handed for answers. I the past, I have always just tightened the spindle nuts down and have never had a problem. I was looking at a bunch of posts in the Yota forums about a specific torqe the nuts needed to be at. Can anyone help me out with some answers, and what others are doing??
For maximum life on the street there are some torque specs. They go something like this:

Tighten inner nut to 35 ft lbs

spin wheels 1 rotation at least

Loosen locknut 1/2 turn, re-torque to 16 in lbs

Install locking washer

Torque outer locknut to 100 ft lbs.

But you can pretty much do them by feel and be better off.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
While spinning the wheel tighten the nut until is causes resistance in the wheel and then back off the nut just a tuch so the wheel spins freely. About 1/8 of a turn is what it works out to be most of the time.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, now for the out side spindle nut, it was loose on both rims and always has been when I replacer the bearings. Did it just work it's way loose? 100 ft.lbs on the torque for the outer seems too much??

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
Lincolnloc said:
100 ft.lbs on the torque for the outer seems too much??
That's what the torque specs say. As a side note, a friend of mine bought new spindle nuts(not sure what brand) a couple of weeks ago and the instructions that came with them said something like 210 or 220 on the outside nut. :eek:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Paul Gagnon said:

That's what the torque specs say. As a side note, a friend of mine bought new spindle nuts(not sure what brand) a couple of weeks ago and the instructions that came with them said something like 210 or 220 on the outside nut. :eek:
I usually go 150 ft lbs on that one. The inner I do by feel. Rotate the rotor while torqueing....always, IMO.

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
pavelow said:

I usually go 150 ft lbs on that one.

Hmmm... maybe I didn't have my head screwed on straight when I answered that. I know the Dana 35 outer nut is supposed to be 150 but I seem to remember the Dana 44 was less... I don't have my books here either.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll just crank on it and see what gives!:D Gotta learn the hard way...Fawken' newbies!!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Just make sure one of the locking ring holes lines up with the pin! Then tighten the shit out of it (I go at least 100 lbsft):eek: Just for reference the manuals say to torque the inner nut to 50 lbsft to seat the bearings then back it off a quarter turn before tightening the outer nut. I've never felt comfortable with that method , I go more by feel. You'll see what I mean:D

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, done. Did the outer nut to 100 ft.lbs., found it was too tight and would hardly move. I enedd up backing it off a 1/8 of a turn and she feels good..

·
Registered
734 Posts
Old post, but oatmeal was the only one who got it right. You have to torque the inner nut down to 50lb to push out the excess grease and then back it off. If you don't it may loosen up once the grease heats up. doh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts