Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i believe the ford 60 is a 78 or 79

i have to figure out how his stuff goes together and if i even have the correct pieces.....

im asuming the caliper get bolted to the small racket then they slide inte the spindle bracket...

the cliper bracket i have is big on both sides and wont slide in...the spindle bracket has a smaller side where it slides in...you can see what im talkng about by the pics below...

so are thee tha correct parts?
will the pads snap in place when i get them or is here more?
where can i get the other hardware to attatch the caliper into the bracket....bolt,clip etc...i know the part stores but do ya have a p# or know of a vendor that would have it?

tia ryan

Attachments

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:d

Attachments

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
The calipers bolt the the bracket.
I believe you are missing a small piece of the puzzle. Its a little piece that looks kinda like a small I Beam that fits on one end of the caliper and caliper bracket. that tightesn everything up. Not sure what the piece is called or where you coudl get it.
lastly, the brake pads slide into the bracket and one oges next to the caliper and the other on the other side of the braket, and they fit around the rotor.
HTH a little
Josh

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
they come new with new calipers im sure napa would have them, you are right about the looks. they look like I beams.

two metals pieces with rubber in teh middle. you grease up the metal parts and tap them in to secure teh caliper to teh bracket.

jiMMy

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i know the small pieces you are talking about...i dont know where to get them.????

but the caliper bracket is not sliding onto the other bracket....

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
YOu have to put those little I beam shaped deals in there. The parts store hardware kits come with a spring, but mine stay in place without the spring and just the bolt. I couldn't get the damn spring in there.

I just looked up a hardware kit for a '78 F350. Make sure you get the right one, 3 of the ones I ordered were misboxed. It should look like an I beam and have a cut in it for a bolt to slide in.

·
Registered
490 Posts
there's another piece also, kinda bent to hold pressure on the caliper. With out it, the caliper will pop out, it's the brake hardware kit for 78-79 F-250/350. It comes with 2 bolts, 2 z shaped clip springs, bent spring things and the 2 I-beam looking things

·
Hello Govna
2,877 Posts
here's a couple of pics. hope they help. looks like all you neen are the z springs to help keep the pads in and the i beam with the rounded bent piece for tension. and the special tapered bolt to lock the i beam in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
yea, just like that. Do you even have a problem with your calipers rattling? Mine move just a bit and rattle over bumps some times. I replaced the tensioners, all the hardware, next up are the calipers themselves.

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
Wes in TN said:
Anyone have any idea where to find that special tapered bolt? I am missing one and can't find it anywhere.

Mine came with my hardware kit, that I got from work, which is a parts stores. Parts stores carry things like that. Like I said already, tell them you need a caliper hardware kit for a '78 F350...................................

Installing the calipers is simple. Put the caliper in place on the bracket. Then push teh little I beam between the caliper and the caliper bracket. Get a small hammer and beat it until it's all the way in. Then there is an indention on the I beam for the special bolt. The bolt is kind of tapered like a TRE. Tighten down the bolt and it will stay. Don't worry about the stupid spring.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
TexasBlake said:
Mine came with my hardware kit, that I got from work, which is a parts stores. Parts stores carry things like that. Like I said already, tell them you need a caliper hardware kit for a '78 F350...................................

Installing the calipers is simple. Put the caliper in place on the bracket. Then push teh little I beam between the caliper and the caliper bracket. Get a small hammer and beat it until it's all the way in. Then there is an indention on the I beam for the special bolt. The bolt is kind of tapered like a TRE. Tighten down the bolt and it will stay. Don't worry about the stupid spring.

I've checked Napa, Oreileys, Auto Zone, and Advance Auto and none of the hardware kits carried by those parts houses come with the tapered bolt. So no, not all parts stores carry things like that. Care to fill us in on which brand hardware kit you used?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Napa P/N 4982188 is the kit-includes the "I" piece and the spring that mates to it. Also includes the "Z" spring. $6.69

P/N 82554 is the caliper bolt. $3.39

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
Wes in TN said:
I've checked Napa, Oreileys, Auto Zone, and Advance Auto and none of the hardware kits carried by those parts houses come with the tapered bolt. So no, not all parts stores carry things like that. Care to fill us in on which brand hardware kit you used?

I used CarQuest BRK products. I can get you the exact part number tonight or tommorow. I keep all my receips in my toolbox which is at my friend's shop.

You may have to order it, I had to order mine from one of our wherehouses. If the idiot parts person tells you they don't have it, ask them if you can order it.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
TexasBlake said:
I used CarQuest BRK products. I can get you the exact part number tonight or tommorow. I keep all my receips in my toolbox which is at my friend's shop.

You may have to order it, I had to order mine from one of our wherehouses. If the idiot parts person tells you they don't have it, ask them if you can order it.
I think there is a CarQuest not far from where I work. I never think to go by there. I'll check them out tommorow and see what they have.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts