Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok this may be a basic question but I cant find the answer on search.

I have a cab and chassis 14 bolt for the rear of my CJ7. It measures 63" wms to wms. So I need my front to match in terms of width. I am planning to use a front Ford Dana 60 from a 1997 F350. I am using the MORE (Mountain Offroad) outboard kit, which give about a 32" perch width i guess. Everything I search of course say just get a 1979 style one instead but I dont want to pay a premium for a rare axle to cut up. So here is my issue: since i cant move the left perch thats cast in, what will I need to shorten the long side of my 97 axle by to make it centered up right under my Jeep? And if I shorten it by that much will it be shorter or longer or match the rear? None of the parts are here yet for me to measure up yet.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Spring pad spacing on that axle is right at 36". I'm guessing that MORE outboard kit is actually at 31.5" on center, not 32". Doing the math you could take 4.5" out of the long side and keep it centered.

I don't know what the WMS to WMS is on that axle as mine is sitting under my '97 with the tires on the ground. Not willing to put it on jackstands to get a measurement. I'd hazard a guess that it's in the 67-69" range and knocking 4.5" out of it would be a good match for that 63.5" rear axle. It's good to have the front a little wider than the rear for tracking in a turn.

My CJs front axle is 65.5" wide along with the same C&C rear axle you have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts