Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys-
I'm usually over on the Land Cruiser Forum, but I'm trying to help a friend...

My friend has an F-350 Diesel with a Banks Kit. He was wondering if he could straight pipe it and what the advantages or disadvantages would be...

If PBB, isn't the best Forum for this type of Ford question, is there a better?

Any help, would be appreciated.

Thanks

Seth

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
straight pipe = more noise.

Banks muffler and the system is a highflow straight through muffler so no real HP or mileage gains.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Cant even really tell you...
it could be an 80's 90's or 99+...

Assuming its a 94 or older (more commonly have banks and ATS kits on them), I would do a straight pipe. There wont be much gain it any, but the muffler delete would give you a lot of spool noise. Engine roar would be the same, as the turbo deadens it already.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
I'll keep straight piping every diesel I own if I can.

Like already pointed out the High performance mufflers flow so well it won't gain much accept spool noise.

I'm just too cheap to buy a high $ muffler when a piece of straight pipt is $15.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Ok, so we nailed down it's a powerstroke turbo diesel. If it is a banks exhaust, you will not gain anything more than turbo noise from a straight pipe.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
905 Posts
Since it is a banks mod, it probably has a 4" turbo downpipe and exhaust...
Everything is good as it is, except Id do a muffler delete.

Broncodude, I bet you replaced the factory exhaust w/a straight pipe...not a Banks...;)

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
RawPower said:
Since it is a banks mod, it probably has a 4" turbo downpipe and exhaust...
Everything is good as it is, except Id do a muffler delete.

Broncodude, I bet you replaced the factory exhaust w/a straight pipe...not a Banks...;)
If it is a 94-97 stoke the only turbo down pipes are 3", 99 and up are 4".
Even with a 3" downpipe you have to beat the crap out of the firewall to make it fit.
Goes from 3 to 3.5 at the bottom of the downpipe where it goes into the cat and is then 3.5 the rest of the way back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts