Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey-
I am going to build a new motor (302) and want to go fuel injected. Where can I buy all the parts? I would rather buy new instead of searching junk yards. I have looked through summit but did not see a ford efi setup. I have heard to stay with actual ford efi products as apposed to aftermarket. Any help?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Whats wrong with salvage yard parts?

Go with a 96 302 setup from a pickup, as the longer runners offer better low end torque numbers, and 96s are mass air.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Go to the boneyard and get yourself a 5.0 out of a 88 to 92 mustang. Buy everything, computer, harness, the works. Drop it in and be good to go!

Otherwise, Ford Motor Sports sells new stuff. Got $$?

-Jack

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
5.0 mustang stuff is good, but the low rpm torque in the truck/bronco engines is a lot better because of the longer runners, but hood clearance can become an issue. Another excellent choice is the late model Exploder stuff, but can be pricey. I still stand by the 96 mass air truck stuff.

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
Go to the Ford dealer and buy a $5 Ford Motorsport catalog, you won't regret it. Lots of good $hit!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Well if you want to build a normal power range (upto about 450 rwhp) setup, hit the bone yards and get a factory set up or complete engine. If you want to make sick power or just something diffrent get a TEC-II setup. They come with everything you need for the electronics, coil packs, crank trigger, sensors, FMU. Then bolt on a spyder intake, areomotive rails and pump. All of this is good stuff if you want to spend alot of money. TEC will be around $1800, 42# and larger injectors $350-450, 1000HP fuel system $600-1000, intake $400-1000, super charger/turbo $alot. And when your all done you can run mid 9's in the 1/4 mile. But I don't forsee you needing this kind of power/problems for something you take on the trail, unless your building a mud racer.

So after you decide to go with the junk EFI systems they sell from Holley. You will see that the junkyard 5.0/5.8 or 7.5 runs just as good and half the price.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies. looks like the junk yard it is. if i were to swith to a 351, does it have the same mounting points as a 302.

I am not too clear on the difference between a classic 302 and a 5.0.

Sorry for the newbie questions. Is the power gain worth the extra weight of a 351? I know there are a tone of 5.0 parts. What about 351. Any years to look for?

I just want to get things right the first time. I usually do it wrong then have to do it all over the right way spending twice as much money.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
351 are great, I have one in my rig and love it and I can go any where I want. But my bud has a 302efi in his and he is always right on my a$$ so they both work out great if done right. and yes they will fit in the same frame you just need different mounts I belive.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
351w are almost the same thing. Major diffrences, the higher deck height, larger main bearings. Bell is the same, motor mounts are the same, exhaust bolts are the same. The higher deck height make the top of the engine wider then the 302, hense the diffrent intakes for a 351w.

As far as weight, I think they are about 40 lbs more then the 302.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Mustang 5.0 HO is a lot of horses and torque, and cost also a lot more even in the junkyards.

I got a 5.0 from a Crown Victoria. Not as much hp but torque and fuel economy are better. Excellent for off road application. Best of all, it's half the price of the 5.0 HO.

Furthermore, if you decide to add more hp and torque, put a different cam and heads. Other parts from the H.O. you can piece meal it and very cheap.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
I would like someone to buy the Edlebrock SEFI kit, I just wanna see it :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
a goodthing to do is look for rigs in the paper. theres an 87 or so bronco 4x4 chassis complete on here in for sale for like 1500. motor ,computer,tranny,t-case.
personally i spend every minute on the road looking in backyards for anything that might fit. just found a buddy a 73 bronco hardtop and 9" 3rd member for 100 bucks.351's are plentiful in fullsize broncos.
shon

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i found this new 96 explorer motor at karkraft. i think it comes with everything youn need, less computer and MAF.

http://www.karkraft.com/engines.htm

a good option for me as i've never built a motor and don't have anyone to help me.

with that motor, should i swap out the cam or do anything before dropping it in (if i decide on it).

any opinions?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Holley makes a multi point EFI system that looks like the factory Ford set up but, I understand it's a batch fire system instead of sequential however, it's suppossed to be pretty good and a complete stand alone conversion. Might look into it.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts