Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THe family SUV has been downgraded to thrasher truck for me. 2001 Expedition with 5.4

Runs great, does well on the beach (Outerbanks and New England winter is the extent of my 4x4 experience)

I realize this is a limited offroader but what are the issues? Length? Weight? Power?

THe drive train seems very robust. I've done a lot of mud pulling with this truck in the five years we've had it, Are there any particular weaknesses that can be improved on?

I read about a manual cable to engage the front axle, what would that do for me?

Are the better compatible transfer case/axle combos?

Did for put a manaully engaged 4x4 with locking hubs in trucks after 2001 that would be compatible with the 5.4 ?

What is the biggest tire i can put on it and still keep it's comfortable highway cruising? 32" ?

THanks

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,755 Posts
Now delete your original thread.

Length, weight and power all depend on wheeling style. For cruising on the beach, toss 33's on it and go.

Your axle does not need a cable disconnect unless you add an ox locker.

You need to search a lot, because you don't have a clue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now delete your original thread.

Length, weight and power all depend on wheeling style. For cruising on the beach, toss 33's on it and go.

Your axle does not need a cable disconnect unless you add an ox locker.

You need to search a lot, because you don't have a clue.
Yeah, that's why we newbie forums but I have tried to research these questions and they don't lend themselves to good search terms, which is why i originally put it in the Ford section

The truck does fine on the beach just the way it is. But I'm tired of the beach.

The truck doesn't "need" anything but the vacuum powered selector for the front axle seems unreliable and they do make a cable kit. But I'd like to hear from people with personal experience.

·
Registered
736 Posts
THe drive train seems very robust. I've done a lot of mud pulling with this truck in the five years we've had it, Are there any particular weaknesses that can be improved on?

What is the biggest tire i can put on it and still keep it's comfortable highway cruising? 32" ?
K&N and an intake.. and exhaust are your easiest upgrades.. and cheapest.. but that goes with almost any vehicle..

do you want comfort and low sound? or do you not mind a loud humming, with your tires? any size of tire if done right can give you comfort.. but alass you get what you pay for.. 32s are pretty small if you ask me.. you can run up to a 35" tire with stock gears.. although aftermarket gears would help

how much do you want to spend?? and are you mechanically inclined?? got good tools??

do you have friends who can help you with something simple like a body lift, or would you have to go spend 800 or so to get one professionally installed? Ive helped put on many body lifts, and its always a pain.. I dont like them, but they are a cheap way to make room for bigger tires..

just some thoughts..

edit: I dont know the rules about talking about other sites, but if you want answers to thousands of questions JUST about expys.. I suggest joining up at fordtruckworld.com NOT to ask anything, cuz its a dead site.. but to access the expy forum, and just read for a while.. it wouldnt let me view the forum without logging in.. so I cant just give you a link to the expy area.. I was reading it for a while..

·
Registered
666 Posts
I don't have first hand experience, just things I've read from doing general research on superduty springs.

I think 99-04 Superduty PU springs are an upgrade to your springs and can get a little lift. They bolt in without any modifications, I believe. The Expy front springs are known to be soft and sag, from what I understand.

Ford-trucks would also be worth visiting, they have a specific expedition forum section.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have first hand experience, just things I've read from doing general research on superduty springs.

I think 99-04 Superduty PU springs are an upgrade to your springs and can get a little lift. They bolt in without any modifications, I believe. The Expy front springs are known to be soft and sag, from what I understand.

Ford-trucks would also be worth visiting, they have a specific expedition forum section.
Am i missing something ? Front or rear? Superduty's have leafs in the back, Expedition has coil springs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts