Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I might be buying a 1999 Ford expedition 4x4 for a DD.

What can you tell me about them, are they shit? Break a lot?

Learn me all your great knowledge PBB! :homer:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Other than the plugs blowing out of the heads they are decent for DD

·
Safety third!
11,374 Posts
It's about the same thing as an F-150 of that year, with a permanent camper attached.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The truck has a 4.6 in it, I heard of the spark plug holes being more of a problem on the 5.4 engines than anything.
It is a 5.4L issue, though it mostly happens on boosted trucks. The 4.6L has a few more threads in the heads for the plugs. Be careful tightning them though because they will still strip. The 4.6L is an excellent engine. It can last for a long time if maintained propperly. It is not extremely powerful and is really suited better in a car. Keep the plugs changed and check the coil boots/springs every time you change the plugs. The trucks have aluminum intakes, so they do not have the coolant leak issues that the PRE-PI car engines had.

Overall, it's a damn good engine, the trans is good too (put an auxillary cooler on it if you plan to tow). The rear is either an 8.8 or a 9.75. Both are good for a DD (4.6L 4x4 should be in the neighborhood of 3.73's). The frame is similar to that of an F150, so no issues there.

Good DD, but not so good on gas.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
My 4.6 blew 4 spark plugs at various times before swapping to longer shank plugs, it was fixed with the heads still on the engine and it currently has 205,000+ miles on it...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Stay away from the rear air ride,they are prone to fail. There are also issues with the rear ac/heat sometimes from what I've read. They are big heavy trucks so don't expect any mileage over 16. There's an entire forum dedicated to them so check it out. I looked into getting one but will probably get a 95-96 bronco as its smaller and comes with the good ole 351

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stay away from the rear air ride,they are prone to fail. There are also issues with the rear ac/heat sometimes from what I've read. They are big heavy trucks so don't expect any mileage over 16. There's an entire forum dedicated to them so check it out. I looked into getting one but will probably get a 95-96 bronco as its smaller and comes with the good ole 351
think I'm just going to stay away from an expedition altogether, I don't want to have to deal with that spark plug bullshit.

Just go back to my hunt for a crew cab powerstroke that hasn't been douched out.

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Bumping this to find out: Which Expeditions (year/option level) came with the air ride suspension?

·
Registered
31 Posts
think I'm just going to stay away from an expedition altogether, I don't want to have to deal with that spark plug bullshit.

Just go back to my hunt for a crew cab powerstroke that hasn't been douched out.

Thanks for the input guys.
Do what ya gotta do, but all cars/trucks have bullshit to deal with... What folks are saying is that it's really not that big a deal, and for the most part the things are pretty solid. I've done blown out plugs on a couple of 5.4's back in my dealership days. It's a prick, but not impossible by any stretch of the imagination. 4.6's were not prone to those issues.

·
Safety third!
11,374 Posts
Did either of you tards bother to check when the OP last posted in this thread? :homer: I think he's probably moved on. :flipoff2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts