Pirate 4x4 banner
21 - 40 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks dude! And no, Havent taken it out on it's maiden voyage yet. Still need to do a water pump. All I've done is a quick shakedown test on the road and stretching the suspension out a little to check for clearance issues. So far, so good. The truck rides amazing with the sway bar hooked up.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
hey post up some more pictures/tech of your swaybar setup. ive been looking through the junk yard at different swaybars to mount to mine for hiway driving.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
. I couldnt do swingset steering due to not having cut/turned beams.
WTF did you hear that BS from? :shaking:

C&T beams have no relation whatsoever to the steering, other than it simply needing to be built to match up to where your beam pivots are. What might be tough however is packaging it up in such a way to where everything clears the 4WD front diff (a K-link setup does wonderful here).

Nice work on what you have though, regardless.
One of these years I need to get to puttin' the 1-ton TREs on mine too...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Pretty nice setup. If I hadnt had a set of already narrowed 1/2 tons thrown in my lap for the Explorer this would have been good inspiration :smokin:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I'd try the simple things such as different coils, stiffer/dual shocks, and/or a swaybar with discos before anything else...

I'm noticing the turns on those coils look pretty compressed at ride height... Do they bind at all when fully compressed?

Edit:
N/M, I see you do have the swaybar on there.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'd try the simple things such as different coils, stiffer/dual shocks, and/or a swaybar with discos before anything else...

I'm noticing the turns on those coils look pretty compressed at ride height... Do they bind at all when fully compressed?

Edit:
N/M, I see you do have the swaybar on there.
They dont bind at all. I'm pretty happy with them. Bad handling was due to a stripped thread on the TRE. Steering and handling is much better after I replaced it.

Some of the best flex i've personally seen on a ttb, thats pretty awesome man!
Thanks dude!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
They dont bind at all. I'm pretty happy with them. Bad handling was due to a stripped thread on the TRE. Steering and handling is much better after I replaced it.

Thanks dude!
And you were all ready to blame the coils and the suspension lol.

Good thing you found that, that could've gotten pretty interesting had it come all the way out :eek:

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Update on the truck. It tracks great going down the road but the coils are far too soft for highway driving. I was wondering if I got a set of nitrogen charged shocks that maybe they would stiffen the suspension up? I'm running a standard hydraulic BDS shock. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the shock I was looking at:

Rusty's RX200 Monotube Performance Shock: R-235

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Update on the truck. It tracks great going down the road but the coils are far too soft for highway driving. I was wondering if I got a set of nitrogen charged shocks that maybe they would stiffen the suspension up? I'm running a standard hydraulic BDS shock. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the shock I was looking at:

Rusty's RX200 Monotube Performance Shock: R-235
Better shocks will definitely tighten it up immensely if all you're running now is cheap generic single hydro shocks.
I've been running single Bilsteins on the front of mine and it's decent, but even at that I think it still could be somewhat stiffer. I've been looking into a set of Fox shocks for it.
Is that RX200 shock revalvable? (page doesn't mention anything about it) I'd look for something you can revalve it if needed.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Better shocks will definitely tighten it up immensely if all you're running now is cheap generic single hydro shocks.
I've been running single Bilsteins on the front of mine and it's decent, but even at that I think it still could be somewhat stiffer. I've been looking into a set of Fox shocks for it.
Is that RX200 shock revalvable? (page doesn't mention anything about it) I'd look for something you can revalve it if needed.
I'll call Rusty's tomorrow and see if they are. They're a great price either way.

21 - 40 of 269 Posts