Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
isnt that going to create some some bed clearance problems. If you arent worried about it I would connect the tops ot the towers. Just like some guys do in the front

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I am sure you thought of it already but don't forget about the down stroke!

(FWIW-they just look a little high to me)

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
you aren't going to be able to use most of that shock's stroke. You are really limiting travel by mounting them that high.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
zags said:
you aren't going to be able to use most of that shock's stroke. You are really limiting travel by mounting them that high.

With some weight on it, it comes down almost 2" and that is with only around 200lbs. I tried to set them for the weight I plan to have on it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
are there any benefits to doing it this way rather than angling them inwards V style, like most other people do??

i could see that when you angle them inward, they become a little less effective as a shock, but shock valving is always easy to change.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
penguinofdoom said:
are there any benefits to doing it this way rather than angling them inwards V style, like most other people do??

You should get a little more effective suspension dampening then a V style. I also agree those shock mounts are really high, but the good news is that means you can just buy a longer shock!

·
Registered
351 Posts
How close is the shock body gonna get to the bump stop on the frame when it's at full compression, with some lateral force like a side-hill?? Just an honest 'what if' question.

·
Registered
860 Posts
looks clean man, the only thing i question is how much it will limit your droop with them chevy's. i might try something like thos on my truck no, but i'd prolly trim them a little bit so my shocks wouldnt be extended as much.
looks good and hopefully it'll perform!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well down stroke was a problem. I never got around to gusseting the back side and down stroke ripped it and the frame. They have done really good in this position. The up stroke is just short of the top of the tower but the down stroke is not long enough. I guess I need longer shocks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not really, just fix the one, gusset them both like I should have already done, then put on longer shocks.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
I don't think you can get em long enough, mine are angled pretty good and are 5012's. They use their full travel at that angle so if they were vertical they would need even more. Interesting..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts