Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad's got a Ford F450 Superduty 2wd that he would like to put a front axle in. I've not looked at it yet but he doesn't know which axle it has in the rear but it has a 10 bolt lug pattern. Anyone know what axle this might be? He would like to find a front axle that has a 10 bolt lug pattern so he doesn't have to buy new wheels. Does anyone know what front axle came in the 4wd Superduties from the factory?

It's got a diesel with a 5 speed tranny. Anyone know what tranny this is? What transfercase will bolt up? Oh buy the way it's a late 80's model not real sure exactlly what year but it is late 80's. Any help would be great.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
front axle is a hp d60

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
camo said:
front axle is a hp d60
Thanks Camo.
It's probly gonna be a PITA to find that axle with a 10 bolt lug pattern. He doesn't wheel this truck,it's simply a farm truck. He haul's hay,his equipment,a small dozer,cows and fire wood. I say it'll probly be easier to find a 60 and 60 front and rear or a 14 bolt rear off a F350 or any other ton truck and buy new 8 lug wheels. One thing we're thinking though is that his truck would have bigger brakes than a F350 truck. Don't really want to downsize brakes,especially hauling equipment and his dozer.

Anyone know anything about the tranny/transfer options?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Easiest thing to do for the t-case would be to put in a divorced NP205. That way you won't need to mess with the tranny at all. Otherwise you would need either a new tranny or the t-case adapter, new Ford t-case, and a rear output from a 4wd tranny of the same model.

Dean

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
The older Superdutys didn't come in 4WD. The new ones (99+) do though. Not sure if they have the bolt pattern you're looking for but they might.

Is he going to keep it dually? If so, he might be able to have a 8 - 10 bolt dually spacer fabbed. I don't think anything like that is available otherwise.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grandpa Jeep said:
The older Superdutys didn't come in 4WD. The new ones (99+) do though. Not sure if they have the bolt pattern you're looking for but they might.

Is he going to keep it dually? If so, he might be able to have a 8 - 10 bolt dually spacer fabbed. I don't think anything like that is available otherwise.
That is something I didn't know. About them not makeing a 4wd Superduty in certain years. I'll have to check into it and see exactly what year his truck is,I was just guessing at the year. Yes he want to keep it a dually,road manners are alot better hauling heavy loads.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Well, anyway you cut it, he's going to need new wheels. because the only Front driving axle in a light truck with a 10 bolt pattern (that I know of) is the 99+ 450 or 550 Superduty...BUT it is a metric pattern (220mm I think) and I'm pretty sure your 80's truck would be SAE.

If your bolt pattern does happen to be the correct metric one, then it's the 10 lug 99+ Superduty front axle you'll be needing. And that is not going to be easy or cheap to find.

Might be better off buying a 4wd truck?

Check my article for more on front 60 axles:

http://www.rightcoastcrawler.com/billaVista/60_front/Dana 60 Front Axle.htm

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
Bill, are you still having ISP issues?

·
Registered
764 Posts
there were 4wd old stlye super dutys. i don't believe ford made them, they were probly a conversion. but yes the front end that was used on these trucks is called a Marmon-Herrington. they have made axles for the last 70 years. the ones i have seen come with double-cardan steering joints and they say is stronger than a d70, also came with 5.13's, and the 10-on-11 1/4 bolt pattern. try www.marmon-herrington.com

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Mike,

Every day this week, the cable company Eastlink has taken down Chad's cable internet, which is why the page goes u/s.

It should be up again now....and presumably they will cut this sh$# out soon!

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
BillaVista said:
Mike,

Every day this week, the cable company Eastlink has taken down Chad's cable internet, which is why the page goes u/s.

It should be up again now....and presumably they will cut this sh$# out soon!
Cool, I've been trying to link to your site and it's been failing. Figured that's what it was. there should really be a mirror somewhere ;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
'92 TO '97 F450 Superdutys are the only 10 bolt rim trucks - the new '99 -up's are 8 bolt on 220 mm bolt pattern

Find a front end from a same year F350 4x4 drw, and have the hubs , brakes and rims changed to the 10-bolt rim style.

they also never made ( from the factory ) a crewcab F450 superduty in those years .

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
The 10 lug superduty was introduced on 9-21-87 as the 1988 model, 2 WD only. all 4x4 10 lug superdutys are aftremarket conversions. The dana 80 rear is disc brake, 1988 and 1989 is 35 spline, 1990 to 1997 are 37 spline. This one is a Marmon-Herrington, bolt patteren is 10 on 7.25" steve differential eng. inc.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
A guy on TheDieselPage bought adapters to go from 8 lug to 10 lug 20" (IIRC) industrial tire/rim combo. Might be something to think about, I believe the rating on the adapters exceeded the truck rating too...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guy's for all the very good info. I'm taking all this in and my dad's best bet would probly be to buy a wrecked or junked out F350 4x4 with the same motor&tranny and swap everything over. The only real down fall I would see is maybe smaller brakes. Not sure what he'll want to do but I think we've got enough info now to decide which way would be better.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
112 Posts
there were 4wd old stlye super dutys. i don't believe ford made them, they were probly a conversion. but yes the front end that was used on these trucks is called a Marmon-Herrington. they have made axles for the last 70 years. the ones i have seen come with double-cardan steering joints and they say is stronger than a d70, also came with 5.13's, and the 10-on-11 1/4 bolt pattern. try www.marmon-herrington.com
^^^ is right as far as I know. I have seen those before too.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
The new 99-up F450/550 are 8-lug :flipoff2:
(8-on-220mm that is)

pic

There's a wrecking yard near me with two of these babies...
pic

(Its a Marmon-Harrington built Dana 70 with 10-lug ends - specifically for the 88-98 F450)

·
Registered
764 Posts
d70 has nothing to do with marmon-harrington. the M-H was built by an italian axle manufacturer named Carrera. this one is model MC-80.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts