Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, first off i will try to get all the info crammed into a post so i do not get roasted before i hit the sumbit button. Yes now it has Blocks a body lift and some $h^tty leafs. :shaking: But I did not install all that bs.

NOW

The truck Is a 1995 F250 5.8L. Currently sitting on a 6" skyjacker Lift, 2" Body Lift. (All was installed previous to when i owned the truck) After I get the suspension like it SHOULD be I will ditch the poser BS body lift.

I however trashed the BS TTB Called ruffstuff and bolted up a King Pin 60. So the front is prolly 10"+ over stock lift. (front sits noticeably higher than rear)

NOW, I was looking at getting a panhard installing it to help with steering responce/wonder before i throw on some bigger meats. HOWEVER it rides HORRIBLE The front end bounces like its on air ride. Highway speeds are fine.

(Tires will be some 39.5-40")

SO i was looking into a Shackel reversal.
~~ Should This be done AND a Panhard for great steering ?

THEN i come to a bigger problem, too much lift for what tires im looking for.

The Shackel reversal will be 3" more lift added onto what i already have . ~~ Is it possible i could dump a leaf or two from the skyjacker leaf set and get more flex/better ride quality + retain my vehicle height ? :confused:

Then We come to the rear. Stock Leafs and some big A$$ blocks.
~~Whats the best way to tackle that ordeal while keeping height in the area im looking for, a bareable street ride quality and good flex on the trails. ???

Thanks for your time. I hope i have given enough, info to generate some answers. :D :smokin::D

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have about 9" of lift, for 44" boggers. Lose the body lift.

I currently have a shackle reversal with 6 " springs. I had the skyjacker fronts and I took the lower leaves out so they are 4 packs not 5. I run a single Bilistien shocks all around and the truck rides great with excellent driving characteristics. If you get a reversal you do NOT need a panhard, because the swing shackle is now in the back. Make sure you do not put a monster drop pitman arm, do a cheap crossover steering setup if need be, its worth the peace of mind, safety, and it drives better.

Make sure you check your castor angles after all this suspension geometry as the numbers will be changing. your looking for 3-4 degrees leaning towards the rear. If its all setup right it will track straight and I only use one steering stabilizer, a few times the bracket broke and the truck still drives great.

As for the rear of the truck I run a SMALL Block 3". I did a shackle flip in the rear and dropped the hangers two inches, bam lift and great flex.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wow ! Great first hand info thanks. Your rear leaf pack stock ?

What Pittman drop do you run ? Mine came with lift I believe.

What shackle reversal kit ?

Lastly have any pics of your susp setup ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
I took out the bottom overload the thick 1/2" leaf and thats all. Shackle flip and drop the hangers a little bit.

I use the stock pitman arm, I reamed it out the fit 1 ton chebby tie rod ends and built a crossover steering setup with DOM and tub inserts. Pretty cheap. Just need a high steer arm.

I actually built my own shackle reversal. But I mean they are ALL pretty much the same. I just built my own hangers, and the rear hangers on the front where the swing shackle will reside, I actually moved those forward 3 inches or so to get a nice shackle angle.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Built your own front bumper ?

Also does the stock front bumper fit with a shackle reversal

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Do a RS kit made for SD lift springs and crossover steering..will ride much better than OBS springs. We have a kit with a longer adj track bar so the bump steer you get with the short stocker will be gone..It also relocates the front spring rear frame mount so the shackle is at a better angle..

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do a RS kit made for SD lift springs and crossover steering..will ride much better than OBS springs. We have a kit with a longer adj track bar so the bump steer you get with the short stocker will be gone..It also relocates the front spring rear frame mount so the shackle is at a better angle..
Have a link to the site with info on kit ect ? I'd like to know more ! Sounds good.

Also what about ruff stuff . They sell a universal flip kit for 190$. Is this an option.

·
Safety third!
11,374 Posts
I built my own reverse shackle lift as well. I made them out of 4x4" square tube for the drop hangers, and gusseted them to the frame with 1/4" plate. It looks a lot like the SKY kit. I used my factory '83 bumper as well, but it took a bit of grinding at the bottom of the bumper, right where the front drop hangers are positioned to sit back on the frame horns. No track bar or steering stabilizer, and it rides decent and goes where I point it at any speed.

My only regret is not sourcing some Superduty springs and moving the hangers forward for better flex and ride quality. Having a stock bumper really doesn't matter to me, because I'll eventually build another one when I get some time. I threw the stock one on because my other homemade bumper wasn't going to work without some serious modification, and I wanted to build a different design anyways.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I only ask about the stock bumper because I really like the road armor look. It of course needs factory mounting I'm sure...

I would like to do the superduty springs as well but I need enough lift to clear some 39.5s so I don't think that is a option. ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
There is really nothing wrong with a rear shackle flip. In fact you can do it on the cheap budget. Source another set of front spring hangers on the rear leafs. Flip the shackle, bolt. then drill new bolt holes. You can do it for like $50. Ive been running shackle flipped for years. So have many on this site.

Superduty springs do ride really really nice.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts