Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,,, I found an 88 F 150, 4x4, standard, 300 ci , not abused, body's finished, for a steal,

Anyone here know what tranny ,TC it would have, gears etc..Or,,, could you steer me somewhere that I can find out ..
Thinking of picking it up for a donor for my Jeep YJ,,,
Thax in advance...

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
The tranny could be a couple of choices, depending on electronic equipped or not. That is if it is an auto. If its a manual, its a garbage Mazda tranny... The TC is a BW1356, decent low range, but no aftermarket parts except for a KluneV box...If I were you I would buy the Ford as a Tow vehicle, that 300ci has a lot of torque. But I would vote against a parts swap to the heep....

·
Registered
30 Posts
You say "standard" which to me refers to the trans.

An '88 F-150 with a 300Ci engine, more appropriately refered to as a 4.9 if injected, because there are internal differences.

The likeliest trans is a Mazda Built M5OD-R2.

and contrary to myth they aren't that bad.
I have two in my "family" that are WAY over 100K miles trouble free...

AllanD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for the responces gents,, It is a 5 speed, I was also looking at the diffs, whtch I think are 44 up front, and 8.8 in the rear, might still be worth the trouble for $500 cdn..
It would need to much to certify for the road tho,,,

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It has the 8.8 in the back and the 44 up front,BUT that 44 is a ttb and not solid. For $500 keep it for towing(strong engine) or part it and make your money back plus some.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Some of those 300's came with ZF 5-spds. 5.71 1st gear, but I think the bellhousing is different from 302/351. If no PTO port, it's the M5OD.

Those 300's will run forever... great bottom end, too

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
sclemons said:
Some of those 300's came with ZF 5-spds. 5.71 1st gear, but I think the bellhousing is different from 302/351. If no PTO port, it's the M5OD.

Those 300's will run forever... great bottom end, too
300 I-6 same bell housing as 289/302/351w/351c.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts