Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are all T-5 transmissions the same? I just blew the T-5 in my CJ7 and I figured that putting in another T-5 would be the cheapest/easiest. It is going behind the 258 and mating to D300.

Before the flaming starts, I understand that the T-5 is not the best and it is weak and blah blah blah. But again, I just need something until I win the lottery and become independently wealthy.

So my question is, other than the bellhousing, is a T-5 a T-5? I know there were used in various Ford applications as well as Jeeps.

Any input is appreciated.

*puts flame suit on*

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
there is a world class t5 and a regular t5. advance adapters might be your best source for info on this. the last time I read their book it had some good info but it's been a few years.

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
about the real differences is the imput shaft lengths--- a tough thing to match--
if i'm not mistaken a t8 will work-- and a stronger trans.
Advance does have a trans cross book that will tell you the differences and what will fit.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Another vote for the AA book or some extensive Google work.

T5 trannies vary dramatically in ratings, and Borg Warner rates them from the low 200 ft-lbs for the smaller Jeep applications all the way up ro the high 300s for heavy horsepower Ford applications. What your tranny came out of has MUCH bearing on what bearings/bushings/shafts/gears are in it...

Randii

1 - 5 of 5 Posts