Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of tearing down the T18 (from mid 70's ford truck) and have a ????

Got the big bearings out of each end, separated the 3rd/4th gear/clutch assemblies (and yes, the roller bearings fell out everywhere). From here I should be able to lift the mainshaft assembly up and out of the case at an angle. There is a shift arm in the way however. The arm comes up from the bottom of the tranny and arches over the mainshaft assembly slightly.

Any tips/tricks?

TIA

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
From AA's directions:

Early "2" lever type units (identifiable by the rectangular top cover) have a tapered pin that retains the reverse shift fork located on the left side of the unit, locate and drive this pin out from the front of the transmission with a small punch. Tap the pivot that is retained by the pin you removed out from the inside of the unit, now remove the lever

The later model t18's are a lot nicer to deal with since all 3 levers are in the cover.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Another way to disassemble is to cut a piece of 3/4 in pvc and add electrical tape to match somewhat the diameter of the cluster gear shaft. Make it just long enough to clear the thrust washers. Drive the cluster shaft out while inserting the pvc whice will hold the bearings and spacers in. This will allow the cluster to drop and allow you to remove the main shaft assembly. I have done it both ways and find this to be the best as the pin for the reverse arm can be a pain sometimes to get back in.

Just one more opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Not sure, but it sounds like the reverse lever you're talking about.... remove it first.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
What I had to do is drop the bottom shaft inorder to get the main shaft out. So take off the retaining plate and punch out the bottom shaft and the geras should drop to the bottom of the case and u should be able to lift the main shaft out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts