Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am putting the T18 behind my 258 in my YJ. The T18 has an NP208 mated to it already, so I'm gonna slap the whole thing in together. What do I need in terms of clutch parts?

I have a T176 hellhousing and throwout fork. AA's buyer's guide says that I'll need a new pilot bushing. I need a new slave cylinder and throwout bearing. What vehicles should these parts come from?

I'm not sure if my stock clutch disc is the correct diameter and spline count either, but I think I might as well put a new clutch disc in. Should I use a Ford clutch disc? What year vehicle? Same as the T18 came out of?

I've read about the requirement of bending or notching part of the throwout fork to clean a bolt on the bellhousing. I'm sure this procedure will become apparent as I go though the process of installing the transmission.

Thanks for any and all info!

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I put the T-18 in my jeep with the AMC 304. The parts are still the same though. Here are some part numbers and prices from my swap:

DESCRIPTION PART #

TIMKEN throwout bearing 614038 Autozone $18

Clutch disc 10 1/2” 1 1/16” 10 spline shaft CD4184 Autozone $25

Pressure plate ( for 86 T-176 ) CA1897 Autozone $25

Pilot bushing ( for big block ford ) 14655 Autozone $3

If you have an Autozone it will make it easier. I think the pilot bushing works as is on the 258. I had to turn my down to 1.815" OD to fit properly.
Your BH should work just the way it is. I'm not using a hydraulic clutch so I can't help with the slave and master. I hope some of this helps and good luck.:D

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
BostonWrangler said:
I need a new slave cylinder and throwout bearing. What vehicles should these parts come from?

The slave cylinder is from an 84ish CJ5 with the Iron Duke 4 cylinder engine. I have a similar set up in my YJ, (T98) and I have been having a very difficult time finding these slave cylinders. They are becoming an obsolete part for many parts houses. Not everybodies parts books lists it the same either. Usually, though, it can be found listed anywhere from 1980 - 1984 CJ5. My understanding is that four wheel parts wholesalers stocks these.
I don't know for a fact on this however.
AA sells a kit that is easy to reproduce at home. It provides a threaded shaft for the slave cylinder, and a set of nuts, one of them rounded, to allow positive retention, as well as adjustability.
This can be reproduced with some all thread and acorn nuts.
I would use a GM release arm. They are predrilled to accept the all thread style pushrod, and sit higher up, allowing for more driveshaft clearence. You did not specify what side your driveshaft would be on, but being as this is a Ford T18, I would guess it is a left side D-shaft.
The external slave cylinder set up has caused me numerous problems. I could not even clear a front driveshaft with out a lift in place. After doing the SOA, the stock pencil shaft fit back in place. After I fucked it up, I went to a full size D-shaft. It now hits the release fork at full compression, leading to a broken bell housing several months ago. This is with a CJ release fork. The GM fork is a little shorter, and comes out of the bellhousing higher up, allowing a little more clearence.
These slave cylinders also fail on their own periodically. About once or twice a year, it will puke its guts, usually as I am trying to leave for work.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good info, thanks!

Robert, you are right; it is a Foird T18/NP208 going into my YJ, so it is driver side drop. I'm in the planning/preparing stages for this swap. I just want to start getting the parts together and such.

With the Iron Duke slave cylinder, it won't just bolt onto the T176 bellhousing? There is definitely some fabrication involved?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
Darrol, talk to John 360CJ about the slave cyl. swap. He did it in his CJ7.

He had header issues but that was on a V8. He used an external slave.

·
Registered
811 Posts
the iron duke slave cylinder will bolt to a T150 bellhousing, and thats also compatible with the Ford T18 bolt pattern and shaft length.

I had a question for Rockcrawler 304, is that 10 1/2 inch clutch disj the biggest that will normally fit an AMC flywheel?

im doing the same wiht AMC360, and T18, and Id like to get the largest clutch I can.

thanks for the part numbers BTW, thats the most comprehensive list of part#s and cheap prices ive seen.

oh yeah bostonwrangler.
have you looked here?

http://monsterslayer.com/jeep/HydClutch/HydroClutch.htm

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks homies!

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I had a question for Rockcrawler 304, is that 10 1/2 inch clutch disj the biggest that will normally fit an AMC flywheel?

im doing the same wiht AMC360, and T18, and Id like to get the largest clutch I can.

http://monsterslayer.com/jeep/HydClutch/HydroClutch.htm [/B]
It depends on your flywheel. Mine was only drilled and tapped to accept the 10 1/2". Some of the 360/401 flywheels will accept both 10 1/2" or 11"
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
811 Posts
yep, that helps rockcrrawler,

mine has at elast 2 sets of holes, I think 3

I guess ill carry it to the parts store with me, and just trisal and error a couple of sizes

thanks man!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I just checked Autozone's website and this is what I found.

DESCRIPTION PART #

TIMKEN throwout bearing 614038 Autozone $18
Now $22

Clutch disc 10 1/2” 1 1/16” 10 spline shaft CD4184 Autozone $25
Part not found.

Pressure plate ( for 86 T-176 ) CA1897 Autozone $25
Part unavailable.

Pilot bushing ( for big block ford ) 14655 Autozone $3
$6

If you have an Autozone it will make it easier. I think the pilot bushing works as is on the 258. I had to turn my down to 1.815" OD to fit properly.
What was the original OD of the pilot bushing? What is the OD of the 258 bushing opening?

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
BostonWrangler said:

What was the original OD of the pilot bushing? What is the OD of the 258 bushing opening?
I didn't think to write down the measurement before I turned it down so I am not sure. I only turned it down about .030" I think. I know it wasn't too much. I'm also not too sure the measurement of the 258 opening. Sorry I can't be more help.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I had an old advanced adapters catalog that had teh Ids and ODs and OAL of all those common bushings..maybe their website has them?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally had time and decent weather to get the stock tranny out. While removing the starter from the bellhousing, I reallize that of all the T18 swap info I have come across, I haven't seen mention of the starter.

What starter do I use with this swap? Will the stock one work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
The starter doesn't change since it engages the flywheel, not the transmission.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CSP said:
The starter doesn't change since it engages the flywheel, not the transmission.:flipoff2:
Actually, since I am changing the bellhousing, I'll need a new starter :flipoff2:

I'll just get a starter for a CJ with T176 tranny and 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
BostonWrangler said:

Actually, since I am changing the bellhousing, I'll need a new starter :flipoff2:

:confused: :confused: Why????
My YJ starter bolts right up to the T176 bellhousing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Part numbers were different when I looked it up online. I just figured I'd get a new starter anyway.

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
BostonWrangler said:

LOL

Nice try :D

I'm getting the T18/NP208 from a F150 for way less than anything you have listed, have a T176 b/h already that I bought 2 years ago.

A for effort though. ;)
Hey it was a shot at free advertising :p :flipoff2: ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts