Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Confirmed.

The fans on my cruiser were 6 bucks each from PYP, and blow more than any $180 fan I've had. And I just grabbed two spares in case one dies for an extra $12.00.

Keeps the 502 nice and cool now.

Good tech and thanks for the pics.

Tim

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Cool, didn't use a relay when i tried mine, glad I didn't throw it away.... Got mine for $15 at the local pnp, and it was laying next to a taurus!!!!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Is that fan setup as a pusher or a puller in the Taurus? I need a puller setup for my application.

·
Registered
773 Posts
mmmm, well I now know what fans to go and and get for my jeep that I seem to have problems with overheating :cool:

·
Super Moderator
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Explorer said:
Is that fan setup as a pusher or a puller in the Taurus? I need a puller setup for my application.
It's a puller.

They say 90-95 with the 3.8 V6 is the best one. I got mine out of the back seat of an 88, but who knows if it was in that particular car or not. I *think* as long as you get the 3 wire you're good. If anyone else has any concrete info I could add to the article, that would be cool.

I DO know this fan fawkin' gets it!

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Lance, great info, but yout link to Rock Logic 4x4 is broke :( Also how do you like the seats in your LC ? I have a set for the buggy I'm building and was wondering if they are comfy after a few hrs on the trail.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
How much was the relay? You can also use two 30 amp Bosch relays in parallel to share the load. $5 each at radio shack

·
Broke Bastard
4,117 Posts
There are no fans for any taurus's in the local u-pull-it. They have some on the back shelf for the low price of $65 :mad:

I need one or 3 of these things.

·
Premium Member
4,950 Posts
Assuming the radiator has the capacity for the engine, will this fan work in warmer temperatures(ie 90s-100s)?

I know wolf says his cools a BBC but he's up north where it doesn't get past 20 degrees :flipoff2: And from Lance's article, it sounds like he just did it so the only thing that can be said is it cools in moderate conditions:p

Also, to keep the info bunched here, how thick is the Taurus fan and how far should the water pump nose be from it?

I'm in the middle of a swap and I'd love to gain 2-3 inches by removing the mechanical fan :p

·
Registered
429 Posts
lance.. why not use the stock taurus relays?
i'm sure it wouldnt be difficult to figure out where they are.. and if you are already there to yank the fan...

now i'll just have to find a way to control a 2 speed fan..
and give it enough amperage.

thanks for the writeup

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
The Taurus fan works well, but the Mustang folks have been using the Mark VIII for quite some time: http://www.geocities.com/smithmonte/Auto/MarkVIII_Fan.htm
...they claim it has the best airflow.

For severe cooling needs, the electric fan from the Lincoln Mark VIII provides the greatest airflow. The part number is F8LH 8C607 AA -- I got mine from the junkyard for $15, but they are available new for just over a grand. Fan diameter is 18" and the fan blades are optimized for low noise but high flow. Outer dimensions of this fan are 22"W x 18.5"H x 6.25"D.

94 and 95 Taurus fans work, as do the SN95 Mustang fans and late-model low-hood T-birds. Pontiac Fieros have pretty good 2 speed electric fans, as well.

Randii

·
Registered
186 Posts
randii said:
The Taurus fan works well, but the Mustang folks have been using the Mark VIII for quite some time: http://www.geocities.com/smithmonte/Auto/MarkVIII_Fan.htm
...they claim it has the best airflow.

For severe cooling needs, the electric fan from the Lincoln Mark VIII provides the greatest airflow. The part number is F8LH 8C607 AA -- I got mine from the junkyard for $15, but they are available new for just over a grand. Fan diameter is 18" and the fan blades are optimized for low noise but high flow. Outer dimensions of this fan are 22"W x 18.5"H x 6.25"D.

94 and 95 Taurus fans work, as do the SN95 Mustang fans and late-model low-hood T-birds. Pontiac Fieros have pretty good 2 speed electric fans, as well.

Randii
mark VIII and 3.8 taurus are the same part #, same fan:D

·
Super Moderator
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lil'John said:
Assuming the radiator has the capacity for the engine, will this fan work in warmer temperatures(ie 90s-100s)?

Also, to keep the info bunched here, how thick is the Taurus fan and how far should the water pump nose be from it?

I'm in the middle of a swap and I'd love to gain 2-3 inches by removing the mechanical fan :p
It's not 100 degrees here yet, so I don't know. But as I have said, it blows almost twice as hard as my Black Magic did. It's also bigger than the BM.

Shroud is about 22" x 17" and it's about 4" thick.

·
Super Moderator
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Part # on my fan is: F2DE 80607-AB

A Mark 7 or 8 is going to be a lot harder to find than a Taurus. Tauruses are everywhere...

1 - 20 of 174 Posts