Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching for three days via search engine...
Goferit and OK4WD seem to be leading the pack in the Ford area.

I want to flip my tie-rods to set them on top of the stock knuckles. I also have a small Cherokee draglink tied into the connecting hole on my stock Ford Dana44 (hey...it's custom and it's worked for 6 months.)

Now, if I raise the tierod it'll give me 2" to 3" and the Cherokee draglink will probably have to be replaced with a bigger TRE.

What I was wondering is this:

Goferit has the more expensive and larger inserts. Simply drill your tie rod location on the knuckle out to 3/4" and insert these. There is no need to taper the holes. They also have a lip to enable welding to the knuckle arm.

OK4WD has inserts that include a taper. If I drill out to size with the taper, why do I need inserts? Doesn't the taper run out the hole to the appropriate size?

Also...any expert on size of TRE's.
What is the stock size of the Ford Dana 44 TRE as opposed to the Chevy and Dodge units?
Where does that axle end of the stock draglink on the little Cherokee come in size-wise? Would it make more sense increase the size of the TRE going into the Ford tierod,(would require a whole new draglink) or just reaming the existing tierod out and inserting a bung that will accomodate the smaller Cherokee piece?
The Cherokee draglink is in great shape....but more importantly, it has a stock produced "crook" in it that gives me 4" of alignment.... If I use that "crook" with a 3" tie rod flip, the draglink itself will be horizontal, and extremely close to the trackbar angle.

I'll lose that if I use a straight replacement.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Tapered inserts.

They allow you to drill a straight hole where your old taper was, usually 3/4". Then you insert the taper adapter from the top or bottom depending where you want your tie rod. Then weld them in. No need to purchase a tapered reamer.

Here is some good info on the complete tie rod over, HD TRE conversion...

http://web3.foxinternet.net/venom9/scoutknuckle.html

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, man.
I just purchased a driver's side Ford flat top on E-bay...
It was already drilled and tapped on top. I also grabbed a set of new balljoints, and I know exactly where to buy a set of steering arms to install.

So, I suppose that my initial question was kinda side stepped. I appreciate that link. I had found it a year or so ago....and I'd misplaced it. It's bookmarked now.

Anybody got a passenger side Ford knuckle that's machined, drilled and tapped ? :D

·
Registered
280 Posts
What year and size is the truck that the knuckle came off? I have just reamed mine out from the top and haven't had any problems, been that way for years. I have all my tie rods and draglinks made out of 1.5X.385 wall tube with Dodge ends, no one has bent one yet.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ASH said:
What year and size is the truck that the knuckle came off? I have just reamed mine out from the top and haven't had any problems, been that way for years. I have all my tie rods and draglinks made out of 1.5X.385 wall tube with Dodge ends, no one has bent one yet.
Hey ASH...
The axle and knuckles are 1979 Ford F-150 RC Dana44.
Are the Dodge ends a bigger diameter going thru the knuckle than the existing ends?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts