Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had heard horror stories about what a PITA they were to change - everything from seized plugs to breaking those $100+ coil packs, to the cramped quarters under there.

Took about 1.5 hours of me taking my sweet time, and was NOT hard after all. Was kinda sure the next day from having to lay on my stomach across the engine half the time to reach the back few, but other than that pretty much smooth sailing.

I was warned to use compressed air to blow out the plug cavities after you remove the coil packs - glad I did because there was a LOT of junk in there on some of them.

Odd thing was - gap spec is .054, some were as wide as .059 but some were down around .051 or .052 :confused:

After the swap - ping/knock was GONE, where it had been under heavy load on take off, flooring it, etc.

Mileage was 74k or so BTW.

**FYI - I know most of you don't care about this, but I thought I would throw it in here for the sake of later searches ;) **

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope - they are up top, but sunk about 6" into the head...

·
Hophead
77,719 Posts
Need to do this on my Dodge V10..which I also hear is PITA. Need to bolster my swivel and extension collection 1st. Hearing your comment on ping etc makes me think I really need to do it..I have ping when towing, 94K on the clock

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
actually thats good info, I'm buying a tow vehicle in the spring, I don't really want a V-10, but I *might* get one if the right deal comes along, you never know.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Joe - I had heard wobble extensions were necessary, etc. on the Ford - but they were not. I have a Snap On socket set (metric) that has 2", 3", and like 7" extensions and that was more than sufficient to reach everything with the combination of them.

One suggestion - get a nice big blanket and use that to lay on across the engine - my chest was sore from things poking me in the chest while I had to stretch, literally laying on the engine, to get to all of the plugs.

KS Toy - all of them were snug and well fitted in the head, with not even a hint of cross-threading or rough threads on re-instalation. It had been recommended to use anti-seize, but I could not find mine in the shop so they went in without it.

I had been told for the Ford V10 - Motorcraft are the ONLY thing you should put back in there. Autolite makes Motorcraft, and Autolite was all that O'Reiley's had in stock. What came out was platinums, what went in was double platinums.

BTW - wife drove it Monday and independantly said the engine noises under hard launches and "punch it" situations were gone, which confirms what I thought on my test drive but did not tell her for hopes of getting her unbiased oppinion.

They *say* these V10 plugs are good for 100k miles, but to be honest, I would suggest changing them every 50k miles... PLugs were only like $45 for all 10, so a dollar expense for every 1000 miles of driving is a cheap way to stay on top of keeping your motor running well :)

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
tators said:
Glad to hear they aren't under the valve covers like the 5.4 V8....
?? Never seen that before...

The 5.4 I had was through the top of the head.. on the intake side, sounds like the same the 6.8 was.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Thanks David. One more question, did you not have to take the fuel rails off? I was told the fuel rails had to come off to get the plugs out and that is why they charge $250 (including plugs) to do this.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KS Toy said:
Thanks David. One more question, did you not have to take the fuel rails off? I was told the fuel rails had to come off to get the plugs out and that is why they charge $250 (including plugs) to do this.

Nope. Looks that way at first, but there is more than enough room to gently snake the coil packs up and out of the way to get to the plugs.

Hell - I'd do these all day long for people for $250 including plugs and retire in 5 years :eek: :D:D:D

·
Registered
753 Posts
ImNotRight said:

?? Never seen that before...

The 5.4 I had was through the top of the head.. on the intake side, sounds like the same the 6.8 was.

I had a 97 F250 with a 5.4 and the coil packs and plugs where under the valve covers... plugs where supposedly a dealer only item at about $20 plus each... good till 100k ... I didn't keep the truck that long to find out first hand...

Must have changed them on various years....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts