Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
According to the news (if you believe them) a few months ago they (Forestry Service) declaired the entire year a fire season. Due to a lack of rain for the past couple of years the FS said that every day of the year is a fire season, until rainfall returns to normal. So technically they can use this as a permanent closure, and close other trails eventually if rain doesn't start falling.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Fordyce/Rattlesnake Road into Fordyce Lake is still open, you can still make your camping trip.
Not totally true, I was there from Friday till today camped at Fordyce Lake. When we were leaving today I was talking to a ranger about the trail closure and she said there were reports of over 50 people on the Fordyce trail. I questioned her on this, and come to find out Fordyce Lake Rd. was/is closed! Everything after the Signal Peak turn off. There were signs facing off the Road but nothing for on the Road. She told me were were trespassing and she would have given us all tickets if she had seen us.

:mad3::mad3::mad3:

She did also admit that they (forestry service) are not clear on what is closed and what is open. Then said something along the lines of the 2nd phase of enforcement will start in the next week.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
This must be the same ranger woman who was down way past the Signal Peak turn off as 20 vehicles and 40 people helped the crashed quad rider get out to the helicopter. And where there were 40 more quad riders in the valley. CHP, Forest service, CDF and care flight and all of us were there. Why no tickets then? Ryan did you get her name?

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Friendly reminder:

Please get names when speaking to FS representatives! Report them here and I will correspond with the FS about the information being given out. The forest service is pretty interested in the correct information getting out and will do something about it if misinformation is being dispensed to the public.

Thanks,

Bret

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
I don't see the big deal??? Seriously!

Around here the forest gets closed down to offroad travel during fire season. Typically starts in Late June/ early July and goes until Mid to Late August. And depending on how dry it gets will determine if they have to shut down the OHV areas. Sure I would like to be able to use teh forest year around however I please, but personally I think its a good thing since more fires are started by humans than nature around here. I know I would HATE to be the one that started a major (or even minor) forest fire!
Thats all good and fine but when it's only OHV users that get shut out and not the campers or back packers who may have been the group that started the Tahoe fire in the first place! I have issue with it.:mad3:

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
The big deal is that this is something that does NOT normally happen here, and adjacent forests have not seen the need to enact equivalently strict conditions either. Not even Eldorado NF where the Tahoe fire occured!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yeah, it's dry, but I wonder...

Does anyone know of any incidents where vehicles have started fires on any outback/remote 4x4 trails?

I'm not talking about cigarettes, not campfires, nor any other activity NOT associated with this closure - just directly related to vehicles.

·
Premium Member
3,721 Posts

Does anyone know of any incidents where vehicles have started fires on any outback/remote 4x4 trails?

I'm not talking about cigarettes, not campfires, nor any other activity NOT associated with this closure - just directly related to vehicles.

montana in 2000 and 2002 sparks from rocks hitting steel wheels were noted as the causes of at least 6 seperate spot fires. So it was claimed at the time......

·
Registered
737 Posts
There are other ways to get in there besides going through the staging area. But do not do it, it is closed. This is all that is open "Prosser Pit area near Truckee; and the Sugar Pine OHV area north of Foresthill." I guess this means that Mammoth Bar on the American River is closed, that is in Placer County.
Prosser Pits is on US Bureau of Reclamation land, and is operated by California State parks. It remains open alternate days to OHV use.

·
Premium Member
5,990 Posts

Yes, I do. It was about 15 years ago up on the Rubicon. I guy I knew (more of a friend of a friend) had a fuel leak at the Carb that ignited and nearly burned the rig to the ground. This started a small fire that cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $250k to extinguish. The owner of the rig was held liable for the fire and the cost to extinguish it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
There's also the issue if you break down on the trail....you can't weld anything due to the sparks!! But all in all, it's pretty darn rare that 4 wheelers start fires. It's always some lost campers or malicious kids or just plain stupid careless people. It sucks to single out motor vehicles which have the BEST chance of all to put out a fire should one start. You gotta figure that most rigs are equipped with fire extinguishes, water, air, and ways to get more water if necessary. I sure hope this is a temporary situation. If it weren't for 4x4's going up in there, the FS wouldn't be able to get to some of this stuff if they had to. Not to mention the extra plant, tree, grass growth. Keeping the trails active creates fire breaks IMO.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
montana in 2000 and 2002 sparks from rocks hitting steel wheels were noted as the causes of at least 6 seperate spot fires. So it was claimed at the time......
Yes, I do. It was about 15 years ago up on the Rubicon. I guy I knew (more of a friend of a friend) had a fuel leak at the Carb that ignited and nearly burned the rig to the ground. This started a small fire that cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $250k to extinguish. The owner of the rig was held liable for the fire and the cost to extinguish it.
It makes sense to me that your friend was held responsible for the fire. I'd assume his auto insurance would cover it? What doesn't make sense is that they are punishing the rest of us for his (and others) accidents or mistakes or possible lack of maintenance.

So my EFI rig riding on aluminum wheels is probably far less likely to start a fire, but they still won't let me in because of what somebody else's rig might do.

·
Premium Member
5,990 Posts
It makes sense to me that your friend was held responsible for the fire. I'd assume his auto insurance would cover it? What doesn't make sense is that they are punishing the rest of us for his (and others) accidents or mistakes or possible lack of maintenance.
Yes, his insurance covered it. The only reason I even mentioned it was because, well, Scott asked. I think cars driving along Hwy 80 would have a much higher chance of causing a fire than an OHV would. This is sooo frustrating! I just don't see the logic:shaking:

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Yes, and its VERY common for fires to be started along roadways, as I'm sure we've all seen. However, one arguement they have there is that there is generally fast/easy access for fire equipement and crews to knock them down...

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think the trail closure is to prevent people form doing an unofficial Sierra Trek gathering too. There is plenty of other BLM land and such that is still open for wheeling in the nearby areas. They know there are thousands of people wanting to come up an run this trail this year. They also know people will be running it regardless of the cancellation unless they physically shut the trail off. The Yuba river is lower than I have ever seen it up here. The fire dangers are real, and hikers and campers are not allowed to start any campfires. So assuming people followed the rules the next plausible ignition source is from a vehicle. A bad exhaust (cause no one ever reams out their cat, right?) carb problems or even bad wiring can cause quite a fire. There is plenty of Miners Misery up there (a plant that is as flammable as gasoline). All it takes is a heat source, not a spark to ignite it. I am just as disappointed as the rest of you about not being able to run fordyce for a while, but it is good to know the trees will still be there when I do get to run it again.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yes, his insurance covered it. The only reason I even mentioned it was because, well, Scott asked. I think cars driving along Hwy 80 would have a much higher chance of causing a fire than an OHV would. This is sooo frustrating! I just don't see the logic:shaking:
Yep, that's why I asked. So out of everyone on this board people only know of a couple of incidents. So sure, while it COULD happen, it's extremely rare and isolated incidents, the probability of which is likely less than a lightning strike. The USFS would be better served to ban cigarettes than vehicles to help with fire danger!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Fordyce closure

I think RockWrangler had a good point about illegal camping and hikers @ Fordyce. I was camping again this weekend @ the actual legal campground where you can still have a fire as long as it is in an actual fire ring. I took my dog across to the staging area to go swimming and I just want to say do people not pay attention to any rules or regulations at all anymore (or the 5-6 big signs posted all over where you can't miss them)? I was coming back up the hill from the swimming hole and there right in front of me an illegal campfire was smoldering (which wasn't when I first got there), so I made a few trips back and forth to the river to get water to put the freakin thing out. I had to dig into the fire at least a foot to get all the hot embers to go out. That really pissed me off. I think if wheeling is banned right now but hikers are still allowed, then the forest rangers need to go in more often and make sure people ARE NOT having illegal fires. It ruins it for the people that are abiding by the rules. I don't get to wheel anymore, but that is one of my favorite places to go and I don't want to see it all lost due to some idiot that says screw the rules. Hiking, camping is awesome, but everyone should have to abide by the rules not just the people who want to wheel. Obviously the people that started that fire haven't seen any of the devestation of our forests that are gone, or just don't care (who really knows). People need to pay better attention to what is happening around us, and remember there are other people who enjoy the forest as much as they do!

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,032 Posts
I'm going to bring this back to the top.

What is the likelyhood of the trail being closed again for fear of fire?

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
It's most likely going to happen, in the next month and a half. That's just my guess.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts