Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
H Rated
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
1,848 Posts
Yes, but only generally. Flows are planned but fine tuning is done by observing real time levels. In addition, I believe there are high flow days designed to give the kayakers their time to play.

As a rule of thumb, water flows increase from May to July and then stay there until September/October when PG&E cuts back as the dam is at the proper level for winter. The exception is the low water release for Siera Trek.

Snow melt is also a large part of the spring and early summer river level and that's why one always needs to figure that in when looking at the release numbers. River flow will also increase during the day and receed at night during the melt.

·
H Rated
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just for future reference 270-280cfs at the committee crossing was up to the bottom of my headlights. (45 inches) The water on the side was bouncing off at 48+ inches. This is driving the good line. Much deeper in the holes.

·
Vendor
1,609 Posts
350 is about max my rig on 40s could take, it was coming over our lap. I would not suggest to pass if its higher than that!

I remember just below Kranker falls, the "shoot" doubled in flow in one hour. It can happen quickly so be prepared.

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
Where did ya find that flow #?

·
Premium Member
3,976 Posts
At 700 that would be suicide and just plain retarded

I wont go through it at over 350-400 not worth losing my rig, the link below is me crossing on 44's (with a flat) at about 300. I was getting pushed around and water above my lap. I would recommend not crossing at that level if you have smaller tires

YouTube - ‪white rhino snorkelin across fordyce at committee‬‏

·
Registered
32 Posts
anyone have any outlook on flows this year? looks like they droped the flow a couple days ago and wondering if its going to stay that way for a while and let us have a longer season on fordyce?!
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif

X2

Just checked dreamflows, and same question was asked on 6/4, but no replies posted from anyone in the know.

I know that PG&E doesn't want random individual public inquiries about projected flows, so I'm posting here.

Anyone?

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
At 700 that would be suicide and just plain retarded

I wont go through it at over 350-400 not worth losing my rig, the link below is me crossing on 44's (with a flat) at about 300. I was getting pushed around and water above my lap. I would recommend not crossing at that level if you have smaller tires

white rhino snorkelin across fordyce at committee - YouTube
rhino, get rid of the manual fan and go electric. If you are electric, turn the damn thing off before oyu get in the water. The water likes to take the fan and suck it into the radiator. That = a big hole in the radiator. No bueno

Dima

1 - 18 of 18 Posts