Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Personal use lift?

Blasting a hole is redneck and easy but a OSHA no no.
Just weld up a box iron cup that slips over the end of the fork with chain that runs up and attaches to the mast and not ruin a fork.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I ended up drilling and mounting the ball on a dedicated fork, since you are not supposed to modify them in any way per the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
7,193 Posts
The tip of a fork leads one of the most abused lives in the construction world. Drilling a 3/4 inch hole in it probably won't make it stronger. If you can't make a bracket to attach a ball and capture both forks dig into your purse and buy one or have your boyfriend buy you one.

·
Take a Knee
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personal use lift?
Personal use-ish. I own the business. I use the lift. Of course, there might come a time when someone else does.

Yeah, not great reviews.

The tip of a fork leads one of the most abused lives in the construction world. Drilling a 3/4 inch hole in it probably won't make it stronger. If you can't make a bracket to attach a ball and capture both forks dig into your purse and buy one or have your boyfriend buy you one.
Your mom offered to make me one. :flipoff2:

i punched a hole in mine about 20 years ago. haven't "ruined the fork yet".
We've done this with skid loader buckets on the farm for years. No issues. Just wondering about others' experiences with forks.

·
Registered
17,364 Posts
Yeah, not great reviews.
It has 8 reviews, most are 4 or 5 stars with one 3 star review because the guy's forks were too wide. I don't know how much better the reviews could be. Either way, it's just a box with a hole for the ball and a nut welded for a way to tighten it down and a couple chain loops. Easy to make, but for $30, I'd risk it as my time would be worth more than that.

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Proof you don't push your forklift very hard
Or maybe he just doesn't abuse it????

Tip of the fork should see very little bending load unless you're trying to lift stuff with it right on the tip of the fork, running it into stuff, etc. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
19,800 Posts
It has 8 reviews, most are 4 or 5 stars with one 3 star review because the guy's forks were too wide. I don't know how much better the reviews could be. Either way, it's just a box with a hole for the ball and a nut welded for a way to tighten it down and a couple chain loops. Easy to make, but for $30, I'd risk it as my time would be worth more than that.

This.

I've made them in the past, seeing this for $40 to my door, I'd never make one again.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
This!

Grandpas clark forklift has had a torched hole in it for a ball for over 30 years. The fork with the hole in it is in no worse shape than it's buddy with no hole. And I've moved a 26'000 pound goose neck with it. Just don't back up the forklift to fast :eek: (edit: about 6,000 lbs on the tip of the fork)

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
I just torched a hole in ours yesterday. Already had one on the one side for a ball, and I put another hole in the other side for a clevis. Added bonus is that with something on the end of the fork you can loop a chain on the fork and not have to worry about it slipping off the end. That was the main reason I added the hole for the clevis yesterday. I had a chain looped around both forks holding a 3 point angle blade up in the air while I worked on it. the way it was positioned it was wanting to push the chain off the ends of the forks.

Also on the side that I've had the ball on for a while I have one ball with a threaded shank and the other one that took a bolt up into the ball. so I mated them together so that the 2-5/16 ball threads into the 2" ball. All I have to do is snug it down hand tight when moving a trailer, and if I need the other side I loosen it up and flip it right over and I'm good to go.

I like to torch the hole undersized and bring it up to size with a carbide burr on a die grinder so that it isn't such a rough hole. Be warned though it takes for fucking ever to grind a hole out cause those fork teeth are harder than woodpecker lips...

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I have one of these, the damn thing slips off all the time, almost more trouble than its worth.

for the hole in the fork, that is a preferred method to me.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
what he said /\

Proof you don't push your forklift very hard
pfffft. torched a hole in mine years ago and I guarantee fuck'n tee I abuse the hell of it. I dig holes with the forks, in frozen ground. Pick up all sorts of shit with it, including cars. It is on a front wheel assist tractor.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts