Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Safety third!
11,378 Posts
I thought everyone used them with a chain. That's pretty standard for anything you pull with the forks.
My barrel grabber came with a safety strap, but to be fair, it doesn't really come off if you install it correctly. It attaches just like the product you linked but obviously on both forks. It likes to be really, really tight to not come off. They work much better if they are barely wider than the fork itself, and this thing has a lot of play in it.

I think the linked product and a chain with a short leash is the way to go for this. I keep a big crescent wrench on the forklift and use the hole in the handle to quickly tighten and loosen the screws.

·
Registered
17,364 Posts
A chain is what we used on the old Clark forklift we used. Otherwise if you pulled on the forks they would tilt upward and could come out if you yanked on them hard enough. That was how they were adjusted, you tilted them up and slid them side to side. So they sort of had to be chained to the head. We had the same deal for the fork extensions we used occasionally.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I hacked a leg off of a scrap pallet jack, plated the bottom of it to make it basically a square tube.
welded 1 7/8” ball on it so I could just run up to closed hitch and pick them up.
Has a chain and hook to keep it on. And best part is, just drive up and slip a fork in it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I drilled mine 5 years ago and haven't had any problems? It actually drilled easier than I thought it would, just drove it up to the drill press and set the fork gently on the table ! I used oil, but I bet I was through in under 3 minutes going slow & gentle. I use the forks on a tractor not a forklift, it's really handy to be able to move all my trailers, then mow under where they sit, then move them back, and never get out of the tractor seat!

·
Registered
12,604 Posts
We had 8 or so lifts at my old work from 5k to 12k all had 1 or both forks drilled. We moved trailers and had picking hooks that went in the holes. Even with the dumbest people I've ever met using them every day, we never had a bent or broken tip.

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
I drilled mine 5 years ago and haven't had any problems? It actually drilled easier than I thought it would, just drove it up to the drill press and set the fork gently on the table ! I used oil, but I bet I was through in under 3 minutes going slow & gentle. I use the forks on a tractor not a forklift, it's really handy to be able to move all my trailers, then mow under where they sit, then move them back, and never get out of the tractor seat!
I'm betting there are different grades of forks. No way in hell a drill bit would have chewed through the ones I have done on our Caterpillar V80D. Those forks taper down pretty thin towards the end and must be some high carbon tool steel wicked shit!

·
Take a Knee
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It has 8 reviews, most are 4 or 5 stars with one 3 star review because the guy's forks were too wide. I don't know how much better the reviews could be. Either way, it's just a box with a hole for the ball and a nut welded for a way to tighten it down and a couple chain loops. Easy to make, but for $30, I'd risk it as my time would be worth more than that.
I found it on Amazon and there were numerous complaints about the threads for the clamp not going all the way through. Sure, I could finish tapping it, but why would I pay for something I have to work on before I can use it?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I broke the tip off the one at work a while back. Trying to lift a piece of trench plate off the concrete floor. Nobody put wood under it so I got a little momentum to pop it up on the fork. Fork shattered at the hole. Welded it back together and filled in the hole.

Cliffs. we now have a slide on ball.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I found it on Amazon and there were numerous complaints about the threads for the clamp not going all the way through. Sure, I could finish tapping it, but why would I pay for something I have to work on before I can use it?
I've had no issues with mine.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts