Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i live near tellico nc, and alot of guys run big tires in the back and smaller in the front, and i think out of necessity i'm going to have to do the same. I had 5.38 gears front and rear broke the rear all to crap so i went and bought a 14 bolt full floater come to find out because of a lack of research they haven't come out with a 5.38 gear for that axle yet i am open for any ideas on how to fix this delima aside from changing the front out again, that is my last resort

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
change both ends to 5.13

or do the math with tire circumference and gear ratio to have the distance traveled match

smaller tires on the rear?

5.13 / 5.38 = 95.35%
probably close enough to run it but the rear will be pushing the front a bit

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
well if you want to sove your problem, you would actualkly have to run SMALLER tires in the rear to make the ratios match. how much smaller I can't tell you, but since the rear will be a higher gear (numerically lower) it will be traveling faster then the front. unless you like the cho-lo look, looks like you'll be needing a set of 5.13's for the front or a dana 70 rear. good luck

-Scott

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Tim84K10 said:
Just wait, the 5.38s will be out soon for the 14 bolt.
how long have we already been waiting? is it going to take 5 years like the arb did?

-Scott

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info i already have 38 all the way around so i'll probably go with 5.13 i have been told from a month to end of the year for the 5.38 gears for the 14 bolt and i can't wait that long to get it going again

·
Banned
7,673 Posts
SCOTTS_4X said:
how long have we already been waiting? is it going to take 5 years like the arb did?

-Scott
We all said the ARB would never happen, and it did eventually. Regardless, I don't have any interest in an ARB.

I'm waiting on the 5.38s, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts