Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Admittedly, I haven't been looking at safes as much as I should, but have the opportunity to pick up a used Fort Knox Maverick 6031 for $500.

I'm just not sure if it's a good deal, or even a decent quality safe. Obviously, it's better than a Stack On, but is it really a decent safe??

The Specs as I have found online are as follows.

UL Listed.
Certified 1680ºF/90 minute fire protection.
1-3/4" Reinforced Fire Door. (1/4" steel plate, 2 layers of fireboard, and 10 gauge steel reinforcement)
10 gauge steel, Uni-body construction (1-1/2" total body thickness).
High luster, 4 stage baked on acrylic urethane metallic finish paint
Quadrafold™ door frame with recessed door.
13 total 1½" diameter active door locking bolts, strategically placed at sides, top & bottom of door
FOIL mechanical back-up re-locking devices
Drill deflector bolt guard.
EasyGlide, conealed ball-bearing hinges
Drill stop hard plate with recessed multi-bearings
5-Spoke Clutch Drive handle
Limited lifetime warranty.
Carpeted door and interior compatible with velcro
Remote Relocker.
Bolt Detent.
Made in the USA Made in the USA

Cliff

·
Banned
1,060 Posts
that is a 1200 - 1400 safe so that is a good deal.

A couple of tricks to make them more secure and more fireproof is to place them in a closet that you double up the sheetrock in. Also, being in a closet prevents theives from being able to get at the sides and top which are the weakest points.

·
Premium Member
17,873 Posts
One of these days, I'm going to pick up a safe like this, and just plate the while thing in 3/8". I think I'd feel a lot better with some real steel around it. Waterjet 1/2" holes in a 6"x6" grid to plug weld, should be a little more difficult than 10 gauge to peel open.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts