Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found one of these weird little gizmo's in my Cj7 rear end. I thought it was a real tight L/S by the feel of it while driving. I broke the tranny a while back and when it seized, it took out the rear end as well. Finally got around to opening up the rear end and this is what I found.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Automotive/DifferentialsLockingDifferentials/PCT_338161

In process of swapping in a set of waggy axles. The front 44 is open for now, but the rear had a full spool in it I don't want to run anymore. I have an extra factory open carrier with thick cut 4.09's & I really wanted to reuse the lunchbox locker.

Bad thing is: The locker has a broken cross-pin that chewed up the end of the pinion gears in the Cj 44 it's installed in. Trying to find info on these weird little guys has been tough. I have a few pieces of info on them but not much. They aren't made anymore and there is zero parts availability through my searching thus far.

Some of the literature uses some fancy verbage for the cross pin design (trunkenel-V power driver cross pin) and describes a ramp system for clutch pack engagement. I'm wondering if they are just churching it up and a factory cross pin will work just fine in the design.

Does anybody remember these and have any info they could share? Can I throw in a stock crosspin or a hardened stock replacement?

I will tear the rear end apart next weekend. I guess I can do a side by side comparison with a stock cross pin and take measurements but I'd really like to get some parts on order now to hurry this project along.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Still can't find a replacement cross pin. Randy's R&P told me it was a Detroit specific part.

I called Eaton's differential tech support and got some promotional bullshit line for a trip to the Bahama's. That's all fine and dandy but I need the damn parts. This is the number Randys R&P gave me as well as the number off Eaton's site.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts