Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cliffs: what works well to insulate and waterproof a cinder block foundation for a WI house?

Long version with all more info:

Wife and I bought another house (100+ year old farm house reset on a cinder block foundation is the early 50’s) last year and the basement has some pretty serious drainage issues. We had the house inspected from 7 different inspectors, each their own specialty, but somehow the foundation inspector missed the ability of getting upwards of ½” of water into the basement. We’re not able to go back to the company that remodeled the house as they bought it as a foreclosure (they excavated around 2 walls to reset the blocks and back fill properly) nor the foundation inspector. The house was inspected during/after spring thaw after all the snow had melted and several days of continous rain-essentially the worst case scenario possible so we thought. I’ve re-graded around the house, gutters are all good, etc. The issue is the soil around the house is primarily clay and there isn’t any actual drain tile around the house to my knowledge. I decided I’m going to excavate around the entire house to run 2 layers of socked drain tile (1 below the footings and on several feet up from that) along with backing filling 18” off the house of clearstone. The tile will drain to a manmade 10’x10’ pond I’ll also be digging since I’ll have the excator (largest I can go before the DNR gets involved). While I have the foundation and footing exposed I’m going to insulate and waterproof the foundation as we’ll be installing an egress window in place of block windows for an additional bedroom (we’ll be starting the adoption process in a few years and want the ratio of bedrooms to children better than 4 kids to 2 bedrooms). I’m struggling with finding the correct products to use, the correct processes, time lines for each, and ultimately the cost. I’m not interested in paying someone to come do it for me as my very rough estimates put me between $8-10K. All 3 of my neighbors have had just 1 walls each (30’ walls) excavated and straightened (cinder block buckling in at the frost line) and it cost them all $10-12K each. Who here has any input aside from gas and a match or put it her butt?

I was looking at the waterproof membrane and this is really the only one that popped out at me:
Water Barrier - Rhizome Barrier Supply

I had also considered looking into this one due to it being self adhering and recommended by a few forums, but I can’t seem to find any pricing anywhere for it:
https://soprema.us/products/waterproofing/waterproofing_below_grade_sbs_modified_bitumen_membranes/colphene-icf/25131/

I’m using R13 foam board as the upstairs is only 2x4 (actual) construction.
https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/insulation/insulation-panels/johns-manville-ci-max-reg-polyiso-foam-insulation-2-x-4-x-8-r-13/1631409/p-1444438918079-c-5779.htm?tid=7473354309928717960&ipos=31

Flame suit on.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
the best way to keep water out of the basement is to keep water away from the basement. The perimeter drain you described is a good start, given the limited information you supplied.

How is the water level during the wet months? Is the water that enters the basement just migrating and being intercepted by your basement or does the entire area experience elevated ground water levels?

If you have shallow ground water levels you might want to look into a sump/pump somewhere in the middle of your basement along with the perimeter drain system.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
We spec Tremco stuff down here. Drainage board and waterproofing. No idea if they have something that works for you but might be worth looking.

I don’t know if you gain anything from the upper drain tile, wouldn’t the water just “fall out” of it and down into the lower one?

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Excavate, clean, spray waterproofing. Then install drainboard to wall. Put in two footing drains, one below footing height and one sitting on footing. Cover in stone and cover with filter fabric. Then backfill with more stone agaisnt wall. A curtain drain further from the house will make a huge difference by catching that water before it geta to the house.

This is what i did to stop a major groundwater issue with clay soil in my house. Was put in when i did foundation though, so it was easy. 8-10k would be paying someone to do all the work. I think ive got mine done under 5k.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Excavate, clean, spray waterproofing. Then install drainboard to wall. Put in two footing drains, one below footing height and one sitting on footing. Cover in stone and cover with filter fabric. Then backfill with more stone agaisnt wall. A curtain drain further from the house will make a huge difference by catching that water before it geta to the house.

This is what i did to stop a major groundwater issue with clay soil in my house. Was put in when i did foundation though, so it was easy. 8-10k would be paying someone to do all the work. I think ive got mine done under 5k.
This is how to do it properly.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
We spec Tremco stuff down here. Drainage board and waterproofing. No idea if they have something that works for you but might be worth looking.

I don’t know if you gain anything from the upper drain tile, wouldn’t the water just “fall out” of it and down into the lower one?
If the lower one can't keep up, my upper one flows. Also serves as a back up if silt builds up in the lower.

·
gumboot cloggeroo
1,884 Posts
Figure out what the highest the water level could ever possibly get. Jack up house 10 feet above this level. Demo existing basement. Pour monolithic concrete foundation (pinned to bedrock), with the basement floor 2 feet above highest possible water level. Enjoy not ever having to give one fuck about what the water in the ground is doing, or caring if you have power or not to run sump pumps FOREVER.

You'll thank me later.

·
Premium Member
13,298 Posts
Fill the basement with concrete? Nobody around here has a basement. Nobody has water intrusion issues. :flipoff2:

·
Safety third!
11,378 Posts
Figure out what the highest the water level could ever possibly get. Jack up house 10 feet above this level. Demo existing basement. Pour monolithic concrete foundation (pinned to bedrock), with the basement floor 2 feet above highest possible water level. Enjoy not ever having to give one fuck about what the water in the ground is doing, or caring if you have power or not to run sump pumps FOREVER.

You'll thank me later.
Pirate has convinced me that basements are an awful idea. I would rather build up, not down.

·
Old School
1,877 Posts

This is what I want to do. Struggling with the ROI since I might get water once every 3 years. That and previous owner punched holes on the floor for ejector pump and toilet. Not feasible to spray below the floor. Thinking about just striping the inside framing and applying dryloc?

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
The wall-o-text says something about draining to a 10x10 pond? Is that pump up and over to or is the grade a hillside that you can drain to daylight? If it's hillside, you might just need to grab the water before it reaches the house with some french drains.

Otherwise, what I've read/watched is drilled PVC drain tiles over the corrugated flex stuff because it collapses. I've never understood the filter fabric around the pipe. If it clogs over the holes, you have to dig it up to fix. Fabric, gravel, pipe. If it makes it to the gravel, let it flow out. Put some cleanouts in while you have it open.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the best way to keep water out of the basement is to keep water away from the basement. The perimeter drain you described is a good start, given the limited information you supplied.

How is the water level during the wet months? Is the water that enters the basement just migrating and being intercepted by your basement or does the entire area experience elevated ground water levels?

If you have shallow ground water levels you might want to look into a sump/pump somewhere in the middle of your basement along with the perimeter drain system.

House is on top on a slight hill already. This is just the water running off the siding and down the foundation. There isn’t any standing water anywhere on my 1 acre lot.

I have a sump pump that runs nearly non stop when it rains, doesn’t have to be much. There’s also a 2’x2’ hole in the floor 2’ off the wall I have the most issues with and the ground is bone dry when there’s literal streams of water running between the wall and slab. The water also sleeps through the water lock paint upwards of 12” off the slab.

My well runs several hundred feet deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

This exactly what I’m doing only I’ll also be adding 2” foam board, this adds $3K alone.

What I’m looking for are brands of waterproofing, membrane, filter fiber, etc. I’m not finding anything locally without paying someone to do it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
Sounds like your on the right track, I would also add a sump pump in the floor. All the waterproofing in the world won’t help if the water table is higher than the floor.

Basically fuck basements, they all leak sooner or later. We have had issues when we get a big melt. I waterproofed and added drainage. I really need to add a sump in one corner to pump down to the base of the footings.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
We spent serious money last year doing a membrane on the foundation of the house and a exterior french drain to divert the water..... long story short we were still getting water....

So we said fawk it and just did the interior french drain and sump pump like we should have in the first place.

Digging up the foundation is a huge task especially with all utility lines etc, also the possibility of damaging or weakening the foundation, we had bracing in the basement for a few months.

I would just do your best in figuring out where the water is coming from and making the best decision, just letting you know what we did.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
There is a product developed by the .gov just for cement blocks, now available to all of us, it's called Block Bond. Mixes like concrete/stucco, trowel on, waterproof=profit.

Drain to daylight FTMFW :D

1 - 20 of 66 Posts