Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to Fozzy lock front and rear axle on my YJ. I have an 8.8 rear with an open diff, and a D30 front. I think I have the 297 U joints on the front shafts since it's a 95 model. I have wheeled open diffs for over 2 years now, and finally ran across this type of cheapo locker while searching. Any suggestions or ideas about this type of welded diff. I've read some postivie feedback but it was from zuki guys. I'd rather hear the real deal. :D

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Pretty sure it's when you weld a bunch of the spider gear teeth shut so that the diff still sort of works but will move only an inch or so before being "locked". Seems like a good way to split the carrier if you have any torque at all.

Either that or this guy :D

·
33,755 Posts
seems like a real good way to break shit to me... if you're gonna weld it then weld the shit out of it, if not then either leave it open or buy a lunch box locker...

I say lunchbox locker 'cause they're cheap and if you're welding your diffs you're obviously cheap :flipoff2: trust me, I know :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Fozzy lockers are named after a guy who lives around here (BC Canada)

You weld about 1/2 the spiders.. and sides.

Its only really practical if you have locking hubs, it lets you unlock the hubs without having to jack the truck up sometimes to release the binding in the front diff.

If you have no locking hubs, then there's really no reason to do it.
Yes you get slop.. but its a bad kind of slop... the kind that catches up with you about 1/2 way through a corner.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Inferno said:
Fozzy lockers are named after a guy who lives around here (BC Canada)

You weld about 1/2 the spiders.. and sides.

Its only really practical if you have locking hubs, it lets you unlock the hubs without having to jack the truck up sometimes to release the binding in the front diff.

If you have no locking hubs, then there's really no reason to do it.
Yes you get slop.. but its a bad kind of slop... the kind that catches up with you about 1/2 way through a corner.
Ya hear that Sonic, buy a damn lunchbox locker ya cheap ass. :p :flipoff2:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fozzy locking is a cheap ass way of locking up a diff but having some slop in it to let you take turns and it's half ass streetable. I'm sure you guys can understand just how cheap/broke I am that I don't even have $100 for a lockright. LOL :D I got access to a welder, and I need it to be something I can halfassed drive to college and back.

My buddy and I have decided to weld her up Fonzy style front and rear ;) . I'll let ya'll know if it's worth its salt or not in two weeks. Till then, thanks for the input guys. :D

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Ok.. this is a very simple concept.

So before you go wasting your time, and a couple of axles worth of spider gears.. listen up.

The rear.. weld it solid.. all the slop is usefull for is unlocking manual hubs, because the axle wont bind like crazy like itwould if you had it fully welded.

So because you dont have hubs on the back, you dont need to fozzy it.

As for the front, you dont have hubs iether..

the loading up of the carrier violently because its only 1/2 weled WILL cause shock loads and it will eventually fail. Especially because it will be doing this on the street.

As for it being a pesudo locker in the corners.. its NOT.. it will either be bound up already.. in which case it will act like a locked diff.. OR>. it will be on the other end of the bind.. and it will go 1/8th of the way into a gentle corner, then violently lock up on you, and reef the wheel out of your hands and send you over the embankment.

Fozzy welding is ONLY usefull for manually locking hubs and preventing bind.. otherwise weld it solid.. because the shcok loads of a constant loading unloading especially on the street will damage and eventually crush the spiders.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The front is a vacumm disconnect. It would make no difference on the road.

·
Registered
37 Posts
don't be a cheap ass just put in a a lunchbox locker I ran one in my front axel for 3 years in my yj and had no problems

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
those 8.8 carriers are not know to be too terribly strong so weld the bejeezus out of it.

i welded my d35 (hardcore yo :smokin: ) the fozzy style so i could remove it if i didnt like the welded thing. well i did like the welded thing and never took teh time to weld it up fully. never broke a shaft w/ 33's but did bust the carier in half on the street. NOT good. :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke:

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Sonic said:
The front is a vacumm disconnect. It would make no difference on the road.
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner.
Only half of the pass side shaft will turn when it's in 2wd which means it won't bind.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
apeters89 said:
if it won't bind then why bother welding it half-assed? :rolleyes:
So I can still make use that thing we call steering. :D

·
33,755 Posts
Sonic said:
So I can still make use that thing we call steering. :D
the spider gears are only going to allow the axle to turn a partial rotation before it meets the welded up teeth. This will probably be less than one rotation of the wheel before it locks up, thereby giving you a large shockload, and still making it difficult to steer. Or you could weld the whole thing solid, have the exact same difficulty steering, but drastically rducing the shockload on the axle shafts, carrier, ring-gear, pinion, driveshaft, etc...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts