Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 4 linking the rear of my Jeep and need to notch the frame where the coil spring pad will sit. I am worried the notch will severely weaken the frame and am looking for suggestions on how to make the frame cut. I was thinking on welding some C channel at top of frame to strengthen it.

First picture shows the cut out, 2nd shows full bump and 3rd shows ride height with 12" between spring pads and the spring is 15" long so it might sit a little ass high depending on how much the springs compress with full weight of the Jeep.

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
I did the exact same cut on my TJ. After I cut the frame, I boxed it in and plated one side (couldn't get to the inside because of the crossmember). Then I welded a piece of 2x2 square tube over the top of the weakest point and welded the end of that piece of tubing to a piece that is welded to the frame and ties into my roll cage. I had a alot of square tubing left over after building my suspension :grinpimp:

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I forgot all about your build. Seeing your build makes me want to finish mine all the more :D

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
I'm planning on doing the same on my YJ. I currently have 1/4 Elliptic springs but want to change to coils. What spring are you planning on using?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe they are either 2.5 or 3.5" skyjacker rear coil springs from a TJ, they are 15" tall. I cut the frame already and put one side in and they are going to work perfect with full weight on the springs they compressed about 3". The top of my tub is 54" so a little on the tall side.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
Thanks CJ! Please post up pics of your progress ;)

·
Registered
879 Posts
I did mine similar(alomost the same) to tweba99. It is fairly easy to do.

Here are some of my 4 link crossmember...

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finished the frame cut and installed the coil springs, still need to weld some rectangular tubing above the cut to strengthen the frame, similar to what tweba99 did. Excuse my welding :laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I did the exact same cut on my TJ. After I cut the frame, I boxed it in and plated one side (couldn't get to the inside because of the crossmember). Then I welded a piece of 2x2 square tube over the top of the weakest point and welded the end of that piece of tubing to a piece that is welded to the frame and ties into my roll cage. I had a alot of square tubing left over after building my suspension :grinpimp:

how about a closeup of that bead there buddy?...:flipoff2:

your's turned out pretty good there cjboxer...is your crossmember in front or behind or right about even with where you notched it?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The cut starts just about even with the crossmember, the middle of the perch is behind the crossmember which I had to notch to make room for the upper links.

Also here is a pic of the bracket I used to make the cuts even on both sides of the frame.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts