Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever extended the FJ40 frame. My dad had a question about this. He wants to get a longer wheelbase, somewhere around 106 inches, basically what the 55 is. But he likes the look of the 40 better than the 55.
I told him about either a FJ45 shortie frame, or importing maybe a 43-44 frame.
I think costs would be more than splicing a 16 piece of frame in. We would do this somewhere in the middle of the frame. It should be strong, too. They do it all of the time on pickups wanting a Camaro sub-frame.
What think all? Thanks in advance.

Arab2112

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
I have seen this done a few different ways, but the latest was a TJ that was stretched between the windshield and the hood, 10 inches.

It is REALLY clean when it is stretched there....more room under the hood for cooling issues, looks stock, and the top fits.

Other than that, I saw a guy add frame to the rear, but not body, therefore moving the axle back.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
There actually is a company out of Utah that stretches wranglers to either 104 or 112(I think) inches. They do a reasonable job too. Personally I might be tempted to get a 55 frame and make the LC body fit on it before I tried extending the 40 frame........

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Rick D. has or had several FJ45 wagon frames, clean and with titles, available. This is the same as the FJ45 SWB frame and is the same width as the FJ40 frame, so you have half the battle done. Rick, you out there???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts