Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I been building a hill billy Deluxe Bumper for my 87JX and fabbing mounting is a bitch with the sammi frame and the damn round tube up front, so I am considering cutting that out totally and putting 2x6 or 3x6 tube there, and mounted so that the bottom of the 6" face will be even with the bottom of the frame rails so that i can mount the bumper higher instead of having it sit too low. If this is making a clear picture for everyone??? that will be WAY easier to mount my bumper and also trussed behind it to the frame on the Sq. tube. ... the new bumper is 6"x2" channel. its my first attempt at making a bumper so play nice fawkers I know its not that great :D

The million dollar question, who has done this? doing it for me will be a since, but, I wanna know if when I chop it out if the rails wil remain paralell or get all outta whack while im fabbin up the new one outta tube ??? will a chunk of 4x4 ratchet strapped in hold it temp.. or what? i dont want the frame rails seperating on me while i work!

if you have done this please show your pics!! also, if you have managed to make bumper mounting stuff for yours while leaving that round tube please post pics!! Im outta ideas. basicly any front frame / bumper mounting pics would be appreciated !!

·
Registered
139 Posts
So are you planning on just welding the bumper or did you want to bolt it on?

On mine I used the stock mounting holes and just cut my 1/4" steel to go around that pole cross member.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
I have cut out that round cross member on a couple of zuks now. Both front and rear ones actually. I say do it as it does make it much easier to work with.

Your concern is valid on the frame spreading or pulling in. Can happen. To prevent it, get a piece of 1x1 angle or whatever else you have around besides flat bar, and weld it to the frame rails back from where you are working. what I mean is, weld it on so it goes from passanger side to drivers side to hold them in place while you cut out cross member. Then just grind off welds when your new cross member is welded in place.

And don't discredit yourself, the bumper is looking good! Nice work!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Have cut a few out in my day, brace it or it will move a little bit, especially if you have the front clip unbolted.

I didn't brace one but cut the new cross member to fit exactly before cutting the tube out. Just clamped it in tight after cutting and welded.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ryan, how did you get it so high and mounted good so that its not ripping brackets downward when you winch?

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
just cut it out and leave it out. Use your bumper as the crossmember.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I'm serious.
cut it out, clean it up.
make some plates off the back of the bumper, drill/sleeve holes in the frame and bolt it on.

·
turd-polish-a-go-go
1,073 Posts
i cut mine out in back. made lots of room. the 2x2x0.250 above the rail shock mount and 2x5 bumper took care of any issues. gotta do it up front to move the p/s box forward, so frame stretch and ridiculously heavy winch plate welded on 3 sides made a web stronger than the puny little tube... tear that mother out!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So are you planning on just welding the bumper or did you want to bolt it on?

On mine I used the stock mounting holes and just cut my 1/4" steel to go around that pole cross member.
RYANM can i see a pic of the other side of this bracket please? pretty please? its the inside giving me havoc for ideas..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts