Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Boxed Frame Rail

Broke my saginaw mount last weekend at truck haven hills...fortunately it didnt rip all the way off. We were able to wrap my winch cable around it to hold it in place long enought to get back to camp...Question....are there any kits available to re-enforce the frame rails both drivers side and passanger side? Or do most people just cut some plate and weld it in place??? ideas and pics would be much appreciated..

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
texican said:
:flipoff2:
Yeah but did you plate under the big hole where the PS box is?? They will all crack there eventually.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup....!

Thats where mine cracked from...right under the steering box on the bottom of the frame rail where the big hole is.....

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
steering box fix

Hey jason did you get my e-mail. Will send some pic's direct to you of the frame all plated up. Had fun at rubithon this year how's it going

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it...

Thanks for the info...the only thing is i dont plan on extending my frame rail....just wanna box it in....I guess once i get everything off i can just take some cardboard and trace it out...go to a metal supply shop and get them to cut it out for me...then just weld it on...I am useing the Downy steering box mount so i am not sure how to box the inside of the frame rail where the box mounts...since that is where the most damage is it would probably make sense to re inforce that side too....

·
Registered
77 Posts
i like to reinforce both sides of the frame and install a heavy flange mounted bumper which eliminates the need for the crossmember as a structural entity. when i am done my crush zone becomes the other vehicle.
butch

Attachments

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
ButchBuilts front frame rail/bumper/power steering mount is by far the nicest I have ever seen.

Nice to see you around here Butch

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
ButchBuilt said:
i like to reinforce both sides of the frame and install a heavy flange mounted bumper which eliminates the need for the crossmember as a structural entity. when i am done my crush zone becomes the other vehicle.
butch
i thought that was medusas work for a second there, then i noticed the shop floor!!

you cannot eat off it ;)

ROFL

nice bit of fabbing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
thats the difference between doing something for the fun of it and having to support your family with what you do.;) medusa has always been one of my mentors and i often refer to his work when i am doing a project. and you can eat off that floor but you have to have low standards or like eating dirt.

·
Old Rock Doc
1,782 Posts
I reckon we should form a mutual admiration society, because I consider Butch to be one of the very best fabricators around. His work is consistently of the highest quality and every rig gets special attention. Hell, as slow as I am, if I had to make a living from my shop, I actually would HAVE to eat the dirt off the floor:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts