Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 186 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I freaking love this, looks GREAT.

I also spray primarily Rustoleum products primarily because they’re so cheap.

So you mixed paint with the rusty metal primer and are using that as your paint? I’ve never heard of that honestly. Is that simply to get the flat finish?
Basically yes to get the color and finish. I wanted an OD green but Rustoeum does not make one. So I did some searches online and found quite a few other people have made their own by mixing rustoleum Hunter green and rusty metal primer (which is like a flat brown). More specifically I used 1.5 qts of satin hunter green mixed with 1 qrt of the rusty metal primer. Some people said mix 1:1 but when I did that it was too brown for my taste. others say 2:1 but that was too green, so that's how I ended with 1.5:1

Love this.
thanks!

Here are a few more after dropping the cage back in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,835 Posts
Jeep is turning out awesome. As I know you'll be bored and desperate for another project soon I'd be willing to help you out and trade you my rusty all original 57 CJ5 for this one. :flipoff2:

Seriously though, nice work.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Jeep is turning out awesome. As I know you'll be bored and desperate for another project soon I'd be willing to help you out and trade you my rusty all original 57 CJ5 for this one. :flipoff2:

Seriously though, nice work.
Thanks but I think I will pass. Don't really feel like starting all over hahaha. Especially with a child that is due at any moment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I follow a lot of builds and almost never post anything but I gotta say this build is awesome, it's given me so much inspiration and so many ideas. Keep up the good work you're doing a killer job!

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I follow a lot of builds and almost never post anything but I gotta say this build is awesome, it's given me so much inspiration and so many ideas. Keep up the good work you're doing a killer job!
Thanks Man! Its good to hear that people are following and enjoying the updates.

·
Registered
159 Posts
nice clean work! very efficient use of the tubing for the seats/cage/cargo areas. i've been on the prowl for another cj5 pre smog in calif. looking forward to the completion of this build.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Despite having a baby a couple weeks ago I have managed to continue progress. I got the rear shocks mounted, the fuel filler neck hooked up, brake lights installed, and starting to work on the dash. Also not pictured but did some work on the pedal assembly to adjust the positioning of the steering column and also cleaned up the steering column with some fresh paint.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,835 Posts
Nice to see more progress, and congratulations on the new baby.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
nice im about to start my dash
just 1/8" thick flat plate and grinder :smokin:
By the way, I was just looking through your build thread. I think I might have to steal your headlight idea. Can you PM a link to the lights you used? And how are the LED's compared to regular halogen?

·
Premium Member
1,835 Posts
Oh, btw. I keep forgetting to tell you this, but in the beginning of your thread you mentioned that you didn't know what the indentions were at the top of the rear fenders. Those cut outs were for the military soft top bows. Just thought I'd pass it on.

·
today
1,500 Posts
By the way, I was just looking through your build thread. I think I might have to steal your headlight idea. Can you PM a link to the lights you used? And how are the LED's compared to regular halogen?
i got 2" hole saw to drill holes for gauges

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RF2YT7/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and JK trim

https://www.amazon.com/Vplus-Daymaker-Headlight-Mounting-2007-2017/dp/B072JLYRKK/ref=sr_1_12?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1536324195&sr=1-12&keywords=JK+led+trim+ring

you will have to make some filler pieces an the CJ opening is hair too big than JK trim

i haven't wired them yet but they probably brighter than halogen

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Oh, btw. I keep forgetting to tell you this, but in the beginning of your thread you mentioned that you didn't know what the indentions were at the top of the rear fenders. Those cut outs were for the military soft top bows. Just thought I'd pass it on.
Oh nice, I figured it was something like that. thanks

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
i got 2" hole saw to drill holes for gauges

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RF2YT7/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and JK trim

https://www.amazon.com/Vplus-Daymaker-Headlight-Mounting-2007-2017/dp/B072JLYRKK/ref=sr_1_12?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1536324195&sr=1-12&keywords=JK+led+trim+ring

you will have to make some filler pieces an the CJ opening is hair too big than JK trim

i haven't wired them yet but they probably brighter than halogen
Thanks, I'm still debating LED vs Hella H4's with relay upgrade. H4's are tried and true, reliable and bulbs are readily available and easy to replace if it burns out. Led's basically last forever bulb wise, but seem to be hit and miss on the quality. reviews are mixed some people complain of flickering and or other quality issues. Post an update on your thread once you get them wired and try them out a bit.

·
today
1,500 Posts
Thanks, I'm still debating LED vs Hella H4's with relay upgrade. H4's are tried and true, reliable and bulbs are readily available and easy to replace if it burns out. Led's basically last forever bulb wise, but seem to be hit and miss on the quality. reviews are mixed some people complain of flickering and or other quality issues. Post an update on your thread once you get them wired and try them out a bit.
will do

I had to go with LED. original set up was too deep
i got cheap set to try as i wasn't sure if they will work in my application.
it was really tight fit and i wanted to keep the mechanical fan (screw electric fans)
so pretty much now i got mounting figured out and i can upgrade to quality LED lights any time if those are problematic or bad

Attachments

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #118 (Edited)
Have been spending most of this week after work sorting out the wiring harness and getting the dash put together. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Also plenty of room left to add a CB or GPS in the future.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
looks very nice

what did you use for labels ?
I borrowed a regular old label maker from work (you can see it in the second picture) worked out a lot nicer than I had thought, although we will see how it holds up. You have to get the right stock, the stuff that was in it was white paper stock so I had to order a roll of clear plastic. Its basically like scotch tape.

101 - 120 of 186 Posts