Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Frankenaxle- D44 +IFS?

I can get a running 78 250 for $400, sans front axle.Its pretty clean with finned aluminim 16.5s and 36 in ground hawgs. The current owner wants to yank the front axle and install it under a 97 250 stroke. Might be harder than he thinks, but thats his problem. My local junk dealer has a 5 lug 44 from a late 70s 150, and a complete 8 lug IFS from a later ford. Can I convert the straight 5 lug 44 to 8 lug using the components from the IFS? I think I can get the axle and the IFS for$300. I have the shop and tools to do the work, I have no idea if it will all fit together like I want it to. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You should be able to swap over the complete hub and rotor from the 8 lug ifs to the 5 lug spindel, Just use all internals from the 8 lug and assemble. The brake brackets and calipers may have to be used from the 8lug to if the 5 lugers does not line up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also keep in mind that 78 f 250 is a leaf spring front and a 70's f 150 should be a coil spring radius arm set up. This would be the hardest part of the swap to do. choices, pro's and cons. If the sell of f 250 includes the leaf springs just tourch of the axle wedges on the 5 luger and mount leaf spring pearches. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
TTB 44 HD(F250) spindles are 8 bolt, and TTB 50 is all 60 stuff, not useable on a F150 axle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts