Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the truck back from KC's. Things are looking totally cool!!!!:flipoff2:

Can't wait to show picts of the whole truck, but it is not complete as far as bumper, winch, lights etc. So bear with me for a bit.

Here are a number of random picts to wet your appetite though:

Some KC fabricated mongo sliders (wide, like I like them!).

Billster
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some KC fabricated rear shock mounts (Rancho 99005's right now - but soon to be Bilstein (bling-bling) 7100's).

Billster
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Custom fabricated diesel tank - again ala KC's

Billster
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trailing arms with Johnny joints (arms are 1.5" .25 wall btw and are frikkin heavy).

Billster
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And the last shot, of the johnny joint up close.

Billster
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
I'm thoroughly enjoying the Frankenrover pics, man... HOLY CRAP! I love built up Rovers. :D

I dig the control arms... alot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,427 Posts
glad to see that you are releasing some photos bill. When's the big photoshoot? Heard that was going down sometime soon. Looks like KC did a pretty damn good job. Loving those rear arms I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar arm on my truck in the future. Can't wait to see the final version in person. Might be a year though before I get to but I'll make it back to texas eventually.

-ben
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,536 Posts
...speaking of those rear arms, (which I dig btw too), I have a question.

When the rear axle articulates, doesn't the trailing arm want to rotate in an axis perpendicular to the axle? Is the bushing that is in the frame and axle large/flexible enough to make up for that?

I don't know if you could make that front mount a little different and have the vertical motion and the related bushing stay the same, but turn the frame mount into a U bracket with a bolt that would go through the frame on some kind of bearing/bushing/something?

Of course, all of that is unnecessary if the current setup is adequate and the rotational movement isn't as much as I think it might be.

Just kind of thinking out loud (again)....

Later,

Michael

PS If Bill's having anyone else beside's me or Hren shoot that truck I'll cry mutiny!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,275 Posts
YEAAAAHHH man! Looks clean, WELL thought out, and executed very well.

Good work man....

Of course you realize there is only two more weekends until the CC right? I do...Am I ready? Not quite!! But next-day-air is working overtime right now! :)

--D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What you smokin' man. We are leaving for Cruces this weekend. The event starts in 7 days. I thankfully have some of this week off to finish up the wiring, and guages, seats and such. Thanks for the encouragement though.

Later,

Billster
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey dude,

The johnny joints work very well in this application. I too, was concerned about their range of motion and such, but they seem to have more twist than the heim jointed arms they replaced. No binding at all at full extension on the ram (even with the springs uncaptured).

Billster

Serious One said:
...speaking of those rear arms, (which I dig btw too), I have a question.

When the rear axle articulates, doesn't the trailing arm want to rotate in an axis perpendicular to the axle? Is the bushing that is in the frame and axle large/flexible enough to make up for that?

I don't know if you could make that front mount a little different and have the vertical motion and the related bushing stay the same, but turn the frame mount into a U bracket with a bolt that would go through the frame on some kind of bearing/bushing/something?

Of course, all of that is unnecessary if the current setup is adequate and the rotational movement isn't as much as I think it might be.

Just kind of thinking out loud (again)....

Later,

Michael

PS If Bill's having anyone else beside's me or Hren shoot that truck I'll cry mutiny!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,275 Posts
FrankenRover said:
What you smokin' man. We are leaving for Cruces this weekend. The event starts in 7 days. I thankfully have some of this week off to finish up the wiring, and guages, seats and such. Thanks for the encouragement though.

Later,

Billster
DOH!!! I just got back from a little skiing...Musta' misplaced a week!

Damn! Now I REALLY gotta' get goin! :)

BTW, Johny's have over 30 deg of movement in them before they bind on the urathane bushing...Ergo you can get 35 out of them...

Looking forward to hookin' up dude.

--D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got done for the night. Doug Aitken and I wrenched on the truck today. Did all new battery/starter/winch cables in 00 welding cable (black and the elusive 00 red).

Wired in dual yellow optima's. Tapped a fitting on the back of the intake and installed the fitting for the boost gauge. Installed new water temp guage sender, oil pressure sender (guage/idiot light).

Filled polished titanium hip prosthesis ball with JB weld. Drilled it, then tapped it for the crawler box shifter (sweet). Ran around sourcing some last minute parts, etc, etc.

My list is down from 40 or so things to be done, down to about 25 or so. 2 more days of wrenching to go.

Billster
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,275 Posts
Keep her goin' man...And don't compromise!! If you miss the first day then so be it!


Me? I'll probably be there Friday and Sat...And maaaayyybe a Sunday imprompt too. Just can't leave the wife and our 2 week old with our 3.5 year old that long! :eek:

--D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
FrankenRover said:
Hey dude,

The johnny joints work very well in this application. I too, was concerned about their range of motion and such, but they seem to have more twist than the heim jointed arms they replaced. No binding at all at full extension on the ram (even with the springs uncaptured).

Billster

What kind of joint do you have on the frame side?
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top