Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have found a 87 stock doge power wagon that a friend will sell me for 400 bucks, I was thinking that I would strip the axles, transmission and possibly transfer case out of it for my 1990 jeep wrangler (currently has a AMC 150 four cylinder and ax 5). I would swap the axles, transmission and transfer case when I swap in a new 350 crate engine or possibly a v6 of some type. There are two things that I first wanted to know before I buy it, the first thing is what axles, transmission and transfer case would probably be in it, and second how much the adaptors to set it all would probably cost or what engines will work well with this set up to set it all up. Any comment and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It would be easier to buy the dodge, sell body, install yj body on dodge frame, and go. The jeep is so easy to swap its crazy.

As for axles, what is the dodge? Half ton, one ton? Pictures of axles? Picture of engine?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If it's a 3/4 ton , it will have a Dana FF 60 on the rear and a Dana 44 on the front , there will most likely be a vacuum disconect on that front axle :shaking: . Those trucks had an NP435 4 SPD , or a 727 for available transmissions. The transfer case will be an NP208.

I worked on this shit back then , as a fleet mechanic at a large ski resort , we had a bunch of them from new . They took a savage beating , as did everything around there.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Basically you can only bolt a dodge engine to a dodge trans(yes it is possible to buy adapters to put damn near any engine in front of a dodge auto, but for this application it would be stupid). If you want to run a chevy engine, find a cheap chevy truck to pull all of the crap out of.
Travis..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts