Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, according to the thread views, the title of this thread caught a few peoples attention. So I guess its time to fill you in.

For many years I've been interested in building a Baja-style racer. When I got into Scouts, I went to the Tulare show in California. There I saw and met Mike and/or Jeff Ismail breifly and saw there Massive tow rig and heard of their exploits racing the traveller (sorry guys, I can't remember which/who as I was a BRAND new IHer at the time). Between then and now, I've had a growing desire to build a racer, but over the past decade, I've seen and heard of a few folks racing IH's. Years past and I found myself looking up pictures of John Comer with one of his racers tearing down a track (weather it be in the mud or ice racing). Similarly I seem to have been drawn to Tom's (Mandera) threads about his adventures with his Racer. I admired from a far, seeing Tom and John's exploits, and in my mind I wanted to build an actual racer that would put IH back in competition.

About 6+ months ago, I was flown out of state by a potential customer who wanted me to look at his T-ette and Crawler for possible builds. Although nothing came of those, we were able to chat quite a bit about building a competition rig that I had in my mind. I was complaining about the lack of technology in current more local racers and using the same technology I use in my XLC kits (not new either, but at least a few centuries older), but on a grand scale and then taking it to the track for real (and hopefully) national competition. One thing led to another, and this build was born.

As my partners will attest to, this build has been sitting in the outskirts ~ severe back-burner if you will ~ since that trip. For the most part, we've kept our mouths shut ~ except to each other. One gentleman agreed to cover parts cost for me, I agreed to donate time and labor, and still another their knowledge of racing. So this build will be a one-of-a-kind racer. More of the product of a few peoples desire to put a decent [possibly] nationally competitive racer back on the track than anything else.

I'm hesitant to give the names of the people involved in this project and we're kinda getting together on this build more as friends donating time, money and effort, into a common goal. Come to think of it, this scout really doesn't belong to anyone of us in particular. But regardless, there is the background of this build. Feel free to offer suggestions or comments as you see this build come together.

We're doing this as a community project, and hope to involve the IH community. I've invited the others to join into this build and hope they will. But its up to them. If they choose not to join in, I'll simply be adding/paraphrasing their comment from our private communications as they relate to this build.

With that. I hope you all enjoy this build.

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lets start his off the 'meat' of this build with some begining pictures. Here is the chassis I aquired for the build. I got it from Mike Goodman (I think) for $300 who had it on blocks until I persuaded Gary Billings to bring it up to me when he was in Durango visiting with Mike.

It has sat on my Mom's property for the past 4ish months while I was finishing up some projects and making room for it. I don't have too much time to build this truck ~ and with the other projects (one of which you guys haven't even seen yet) ~ we're going to crank it out as quickly as we can. Goal time: 1 month.

Here's what we're starting with.

Even though the scout is rough. Its got it where it counts. I need from the fire-wall to the B-pillar. And we've already started taking this beast apart. Unfortunately, as you'll see in the pictures, the weather isn't cooperating.

We started on it after old Mother Nature dropped a few inches of snow on the ground. It was cold ~ but Paul and I got right to work.

As you can see, the engine is gone from this chassis, and there is several things left to make it mostly comlete.

Alas, it's all for not. Everything not needed is removed.

Once the insides are gutted, its time for the fenders... Paul, with his signature pose works while snow starts falling again :nono:

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After Paul and I got the engine bay stripped, he started on the fenders while I tore out the dash and prep'd the door for removal.

While ripping (literally) the dash out, the glove box tore open and we found some old stuff that was left behind. Sunbock anyone? Insect repellent? Funny, even the bugs were smart enough to stay out of the weather....what what wrong with us?:clown:

Dash completely stripped.

We left after getting the front fenders and inner-fenders off. Doors are gone too. Getting the two fender bolts along the rockers required a bit of laying down in the snow. We didn't get any pictures of the snow falling at its max ~ but after nearly 4 hours of tear down. We were done. Before we left, I snapped a few more shots.

I'll be adding more pictures as I get a chance. Hope you enjoyed the beginings of this project.

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I guess I can update this. First, I'm super surprised I didn't catch phenomia, you all saw we took the front end apart while it snowed on us. That was a WARM day. When we went back to get it with a trailer, the high was 15. Up where the scout was...it was officially "BUTT COLD"

But with some inspiration, we were able to get the chassis on the trailer (just 3 of us) and get it home. Here's some begining pictures. I left the chassis in my garage a couple days to let the snow melt off it. Its still melting but things need to start so here we are.

Good old Paul got busy with a broom and started ~ emphasis that STARTED ~ sweeping the chassis out.

More sweeping.

Look at all the yummies

Driver seat getting gone. I will say these were a bit of a pain. Normally the bolts simply come out from the top. So while in the great-white-north we used a sawzall to cut the bases enough to tilt them over. However, the PO replaced the floors and rockers which means mis-matched bolts and the need to get UNDER the scout. As you could tell from the pictures above, that wasn't going to happen at the property.

Driver out, time for passenger.

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seats gone, trash still there

Firewall, we will be completely tubing this out. Its up to Tom what design.

Pay-dirt. The hole reason we picked this chassis is that the floors and rockers are still good (the PO replaced them). The rest of the chassis was getting junked anyway.

Front frame rails. Man, if there is one thing I hate about working on scouts, is making this look clean and new. We are in process of cutting every last bracket and mount off the frame from the front to the rear cab mount. This part of the build sucks, and takes quite a while, but if you want the job clean, it has to be done.

:eek:

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the DOM for the cage ordered up. It was time to face the nastiest job on the planet. Cleaning up the frame. I had Paul start cutting off brackets while waiting for metal on normal work, and Matt (another helper) finished them off with the plasma one night.

Today it was my job to finish cutting them off, then grind the whole frame smooth. Its a nasty job. Took hours. I was a mess.

Underneath. I took a wire wheel to the frame was well. Cleaned it up pretty good ~ but man do those things spread the crap everywhere!

Even took the wire wheel to the firewall.

Then started cleaning up the cut lines on what was left of the body. A chalk line 2" behind where the door opening is worked well.

Turns out that cutting it here makes the cut line up with the inner B-pillar support.

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More of the same

While cutting the floor i discovered we don't need to get another fuel pump!:grinpimp:

Glaser Steel showed up with the DOM.

5 Sticks to start. Not much, but will cover the required cage (we're building off SCORE rules/regulations.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Very nice start. I like the plan! Subscribed.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
sexy...very sexy. that black rusty tub reminds of back in the day when i bought and built my first and only scout. will be watching this build.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Very nice start!

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. This build hopes to be something really cool. The story is pretty impossible. Keeping with the cheap-butt Scout owners psyche (sp) ~ total for the build is $3000 with a cap at $3500. But with me donating time/tools, and [what some call] fab skills, and other 'partners' donating experience, $$ and equipment they've collected over the years ~ I'm sure it'll work out. We're counting on gathered resources to keep within the budget.

There are a precious few vendors who've choosen/volenteered their products as well ~ Jeff @ IHONorth being chief among the guys willing to help. I knew he would ~ just that kind of a guy. And I know the guys involved in this build are EXTREMELY greatful for Jeffs generosity.

So far we've got a tube, a frame, link mounts, link materials, coil-overs (front and back), Air bumps, seats, and a few little odds and ends in the 'bag'. Now its up to me to finish this chassis so Tom can get it up to MT and install the motor.

Score rules change almost yearly. Make sure you are the most current and up to date.
The big problem is that we have a scout with a less-than-scout suspension. Most rules put us in what can be best called an 'unlimited' catagory. 1450 and/or TrophyTruck. Its the nature of the beast. We're building a linked/coiled rig off a leaf-sprung chassis. No way to mince words ~ we're out of the traditional 'stockish' classes.
Good luck. Subscribed.
You know Dan. I thought you'd interject here, and I'm glad you did. I could use a 118" WB quarter with a big fat flare on the side. Once upon a time you mentioned doing some fiberglass work. If you're still looking at doing that, this project SCREAMS your name. I'm not expecting anything for free ~ but if your time schedule works, give me or Tom a PM so we can discuss it. No preasure, any help is help.

Thanks folks. This build is going to hopefully get serious. We've got plans for a 392 race motor, and a bunch of small things to help give this racer an edge over what's been out there. Wish us all luck.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If this is the reason your interested in the 392 parts I have just take um. I would be glad to donate it.:smokin:

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Damien,

You know Dan. I thought you'd interject here, and I'm glad you did. I could use a 118" WB quarter with a big fat flare on the side. Once upon a time you mentioned doing some fiberglass work.
Here is a thought. After checking out Tom's repeated Q-pannel damage while racing why do fiberglass? Since they arent long term what about plastic? Make a mould then use that thin stuff that you heat to comform to the mould? They wont last a long and will sun rot but, I'd think you could get more for your $$.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Damien,

Here is a thought. After checking out Tom's repeated Q-pannel damage while racing why do fiberglass? Since they arent long term what about plastic? Make a mould then use that thin stuff that you heat to comform to the mould? They wont last a long and will sun rot but, I'd think you could get more for your $$.
As far as actual replacements, I ran the first stock steel quarters for years, then install two NEW steel repops from SSS in 2005, one lasted two days, the other is still on. I replaced the damaged steel quarter with 'glass.

..and 2, almost three years later, still running the same one-steel, one-glass quarters.

If I had an endless supply of quarters, I might not be as afraid of "mixing it up" with the other trucks. :)

Easier than making a plastic fender is to just start scrounging used steel quarters. I'll have to cut open the wheel arches anyhow, and the rest of the rust just gets a quick coat of body filler and a quick paintjob.

Odds are, that before the rust bubbles through the bondo, it'll need replaced or extensive body work anyhow.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
There are a precious few vendors who've choosen/volenteered their products as well ~ Jeff @ IHONorth being chief among the guys willing to help. I knew he would ~ just that kind of a guy. And I know the guys involved in this build are EXTREMELY greatful for Jeffs generosity.
"Here here!" (or is that "hear hear?") Jeff's been very helpful and generous thus far, and there really isn't much to look at yet - just your typical Scout scattered around a garage and a pile of tube - like every other Scout out there. ;)

Now its up to me to finish this chassis so Tom can get it up to MT and install the motor.
My quickie "new headgasket" rebuild is now waiting on me instead of the machine shop. Only 3-4 times what I expected to pay, but they were really doing me a favor by finding the damaged valves before I dropped one and made a big mess of things.

Hopefully the 304 will sing well past the 6300 mark now. Of course, the 304 is just a stop-gap for the next-gen race mill. (It was supposed to be a CHEAP stop-gap, but oh well)

The big problem is that we have a scout with a less-than-scout suspension. Most rules put us in what can be best called an 'unlimited' catagory. 1450 and/or TrophyTruck. Its the nature of the beast. We're building a linked/coiled rig off a leaf-sprung chassis. No way to mince words ~ we're out of the traditional 'stockish' classes.
Goal is to meet SCORE's basic safety requirements, though I have no current plans to trailer it all the way to San Diego for an inspection, then haul it home.. and turn around a few weeks later and haul down to actually go racing - unless someone that owns a gasoline refinery wants to throw down for some sponsorship.

But I might make that happen yet, and having the car built such that I *could* greatly increases the odds.

So it's being built to be fun (and fast) and to be competitive where I typically race. I may be in the "unlimited" class, but that doesn't mean I have to run against the Herbst 4x4 Trophy Truck (they don't bother to come here and race).. I will have to run against some retired CORR Pro-2s and Class 8 trucks, though - just none with "Monster", "RedBull", or "Terrible" on the sides.

Calling it a "Trophy Scout" would probably generate plenty of laughs, but it'll either be Trick/Trophy Truck or Sportsman Class in SCORE/BITD.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Generaly, you fly the inspector to you. Then they stamp it with thier squeel of approval. That way you can make any changes to the cage before too much of the rig gets done. It would be a shame to have it fully built, haul it someplace, then have them say you dont have 3" gussets on all main bar connecting points. Or something like that...

I'm sure you have done your homework. It will be interesting to watch it all come together.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
If I had an endless supply of quarters, I might not be as afraid of "mixing it up" with the other trucks.
Thats what I watch racing for :evil:

I'm researching Thermoforming now it looks like you could just use a standard pannel as the mould. For this I don't think a box would be that hard to build to crank out a stack of these.

Sample: http://www.build-stuff.com/1001plans_hobby_vac.htm

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Thats what I watch racing for :evil:

I'm researching Thermoforming now it looks like you could just use a standard pannel as the mould. For this I don't think a box would be that hard to build to crank out a stack of these.
Cost of materials, and where can I get more details?

I have a stack of FRP/CRP ('glass/carbon fiber) books and a few suppliers sourced out.. but hadn't even begun to look into Thermoforming.

I still have one good 'glass quarter in storage I can start from.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
The link in my previous post show the idea but it is small, the scale would have to be increased.

Set up and materials appear to be much less then glass.

Here is a Brit place doing kit car stuff cheap: http://www.esp-plastics.co.uk/acatalog/body_panels_kitcar_wings.html

Home made set-up: http://www.halloweenfear.com/vacuumformintro.html

Material is going to be thermomoulded poluurethane sheet.

Want bullet proof stuff? http://www.professionalplastics.com...118/prrfnbr/100383/Bullet-Resistant-Materials

1 - 20 of 257 Posts