Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fresh Tech!!!!(updated 3/16/06)

here's some of the junks i been workin on.....just for you Billj

yota front housing

ARB front diff

Spool rear

Here's the truck......goin to run 35x12.5 baja claw radials for a while because they was cheap(plannin on 37 mtr's when the money gets right)....also goin to set up a rear 3 link coil similar to that 4rest guy.....beadlocks in the mail hopefully too....i'll post some more pics as i get shit done

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nozuk said:
How did you pay for those wheels and how many did you get?
What's the obsession with the wheels?.....i ordered 4....payed for them by selling my body to dirty men downtown:flipoff2:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
nozuk said:
sorry man i intersted in bead locks sorry i want to know what the average price:flipoff2: :flipoff2:
check out this thread....he gives some prices there.....i think his prices are very good considering 32 bolt locks and any backspacing.....i couldn't find a better price....hope that helps

Beadlock Thread

·
Registered
495 Posts
How much clearence do you actually get from shaving a Toyota 8" housing??? Doesn't look like much for all that work. especially if you were not rolling the pinion up, although most on here do.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
about 1" of clearance in the front, and 3/4" of clearance in the back.

What really gains you the most is the removal of the drain plug.

I'm shaving the rear in my zuk this weekend.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

here's the front housing with brackets cut off and new gusset and diff guard welded on.....going to paint and put everything together today hopefully....:D

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
came from allpro back when they had that sale in december....the diff covers come with two low profile allen head drain and fill plugs too....i think sky makes a gusset a lot like this one now too...

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
jones said:
You should do this while the housings are sitting there.:D

http://rz-products.com/WAYNE/UPDATES/update21.html
And you should go reinforce the rear dif cover right now! "Looks pretty beefy?"... it's like 1/8" steel, and I've had NO trouble pretzeling mine. ;)

Wyld Bill, to be perfectly honest, people would be doing this left and right even if there were NO ground celarance gains. The true benfit is the smooth bottom with no drain plug.... I can't tell you how many times I've snagged that drain plug reinforing ring on something. Instead, you just weld a nut to one of the bottom 3rd member studs, and pull it out to drain the oil. :D

Oh, and you HAVE to tilt the toy axle up, because otherwise the front pinion is down in the dirt, since toys have almost zero caster from the factory. ;)

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
jones said:
You should do this while the housings are sitting there.:D

http://rz-products.com/WAYNE/UPDATES/update21.html
Hey nice page. :p Seems somehow familiar..

I'd say it is well worth the trouble.. I think I would even do a Samurai axle.

I think you pick up about 3/4", maybe a bit more depending on how you make it. does not sound lie much, but that is like running a tire that is 1-1/2" taller. I have been amazed at how well they work on the trail. There is no comparison.

-Wayne

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
here's the painted housing with the 3rd member installed.....for those of you with yota axles and 5.29's.....did ya'll clearance the 3rd member mounting flange on the housing at all?.....i had a hell of a time getting the ring gear to fit through.....it went eventually....but i don't know how i'll ever get it out....hopefully i'll never have to....:D

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Hey ZukiBoy:
try this tread for a much needed shave job....You'll be glad you did!!!Shave it!!

I'm gonna shave mine, I have hung up on rocks too much for my taste!!
besides it gives you the chance to add alot of potential strength to the housing.

Just my 2 cents :D

Looking good though :D

BTW the link is from.......'gasp' the Sammy FAQ!!!!!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i had thought about it.....i've already got the diff guard on there for strength......i don't really run the huge rocks like out west.....most of ours are mud covered and axles slide over them fairly easily.....i'm goin to run 37" tires so i think i'll have plenty of clearance......if not i'll just get 40's or something:D
should have some pics of the completed axle with sky histeer tomorrow.....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts