Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a pair of steering rockwells for a good price with plans to put in my S10 truggy but with a possible future move in the plans , and hard to say if will have a shop to work in once moved, trying to decide if it is really worth it. I currently have a GM 60 front with full chomoly shafts (spicer joints), solid knuckles, full hydro high steer, lockerer, etc and a 14ff rear lockers, disked, linked and 5.38 gears. I have broke a cromoly shaft and twisted another one up and a spicer u-joint along with breaking a 14ff shaft in the last 2 years since I built the Sonoma truggy. I have full spares for every shaft on the rig and spare driveshaft to front front/rear. Was planning on linking the front when I swapped in the rockwell but now thinking to sell the rocks and finish linking the front of this rig. It weighs 6100 pounds currently fully loaded ready to wheel with a 454, th400, doubler, and tons on 43 SXs.

My question is do you think it is really worth the work and money to swap to rockwells? Rear steer would be cool but really with cutting brakes currently I get around pretty good. The rocks still need steering, and a some little parts. Already shaved them, welded gears, etc but would be on stock shafts and don't have any spare anything. Plus to fit them I plan on moving engine up and back a handful to get front diff to clear so there is pretty much a complete truck remodel in the books to do it. Maybe sell rocks, finish front link job, and put some quality joints in 60 and be content? Sounds like a drama noob post but what the hell... :flipoff2:

Rig in question:

Matt up Rod Knocker 11-12-2011 - YouTube

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
I did this and know I won't regret it.

Way better ground clearance and beef. A lil more top heavy but no big deal.

Recommend installing a ratchet locker in the front. Both diffs being welded it will steer hard and want to push through a turn.

Won't have to worry about ripping off your break lines with the rocks either. I had this problem here in the Midwest with trees and stuff.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
If you are not breaking spicer stuff, there is no need for rocks.

It will make your truck heavier and taller then it needs to be.

But if your bored, go for it.

·
Big Bouncing Bunny
542 Posts
I had tons under my rig, and after I did my doubler they went bang on both ends. I'm in the process of steering Rocks on links at both ends myself. It will be worth it.

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
It will make your truck heavier and taller then it needs to be.
Bout three hundred plus probably and his rig sets high now, probably wouldn't be much if any higher then it looks to set now.

Plus beefy cheap rear steer :smokin:

·
no where new
703 Posts
My S10 is 7' 1" to the top of the exo, with 44's and rockwells. I will be doing rear steer this winter. I like being able to be out on the trail all day, load it up on the trailer and come back the next day with no broken parts.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ive broke my share of stock rockwell shafts, If you dont plan on upgrading the stock axles, and since you seem to be breaking cromo axles currantly.
With the added jam of the lower gears, I think you will continue to break shafts. But every other aspect of the rocks beside the extra weight will be advantages. BTW sweet rig

·
Registered
961 Posts
watup matt:p do you drive your truck on the street any or strait trail? if you take it out to grab some groceries every now any then that will prob be a no go for the future with the rocks.

one of the biggest expense on my last rig going to rock was the new beadlocks:eek: what you got planned there?

·
Registered
569 Posts
if that is all you broke in 2 yrs i wouldn't change anything. link the front and put it on a diet

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Keep your truck as is so you can still wheel and build a rockwell buggy. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
805 Posts
I will say I had Rocks... I did like them and they definetley have there place but welded ... no way tried that and hated the steering M.O.... So I did an ARB and Grizzly locker liked that it was better. Then did full PSC steering and of course Ouverson shafts and Ourverson knuckles $$$$ i Liked the axles never broke anything on them they did seem heavy and really didnt seem to like crawling and rock wheeling again M.O. I think it all depends on what your wanting and things like that the steering on Rockwells is not as good as some for straight up beatdowns they are great. it is hard to get a low vehicle with them although it can be done. To me they were a good fun axle to go wheel beat the heck out of my rig and not worry.. Course they can get extremely expensive if you start getting the cool good parts that really make them work.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I had steering rockwells in my buggy. I actually went from rockwells to dana 60/14 combo. i was wanting to street my buggy more and the rocks (to me) werent very street friendly. I had pinion brakes and really did not like that on the street.

I was welded rear and locked front. As for wheeling, I beat the piss out of the rocks with only 1 shaft broken. The rear stear was nice, but I found it boring to wheel with my friends cause they they had smaller rigs and I could point and go.

Now that I have 60/14, I street mine alot more and can find parts easy if and when I break something. I was able to lower my rig by about 5 inches which helps me in the cold winters get in and out. I do miss the rear steering every now and again, but grab the cutting brake and hang on works well.

It really is a matter of personal preference and what pros and cons you want or willing to accept.. Rockwells get exspensive to make bullet proof but have their places.

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
They work ok...

I've driven mine on the road about 4 miles up to about 30 mph down some back roads and it wasn't too bad of a drive...worst thing was cold Swampers and an unbalanced front shaft :laughing:

·
Premium Member
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I'm not too worries about pavement driving, I have a trailer for that and any asphalt we do see is generally not more than 10 miles. Even with the lower gears and 43s I can still go the 45-55 we normally go on roads. I planned on pinion brakes but still not worried about that for the very minimal roads we do travel.

The other thing I am worried about is axle strength. I've seen a half dozen rockwell u-joint axles brake, granted on rigs with 49s/53s. 2" OEMs can be spendy. I think his 16 spline chromos would hold up though to 43s/maybe future 47s.

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
I currently have the stock 16 spline CVs in the front and stockers in the rear. I haven't really gotten on it though. A fubar'd traction bar in the rear really limited my testing abilities.

·
Premium Member
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I currently have the stock 16 spline CVs in the front and stockers in the rear. I haven't really gotten on it though. A fubar'd traction bar in the rear really limited my testing abilities.
If you get a chance since you have the same frame as my rig is on could you take some pics of your front diff clearance and maybe throw a tape from the bottom of the frame rail to top of axle tube and get a measurement too?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts