Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put rears up front w/ a drop hanger and long shackles...blah..blah..just like many of you have. I love the way the truck works now, but I have a serious axle wrap problem. In my SEARCH I have not noticed anyone clocking their housings or any wedges under the housings to correct pinion angle. I only wheel this truck, it is never driven on the street. If I can fix this w/ my packs and not give up any flex, cool. I have already rebuilt my springs and I like them the way they are, as far as ride height and flex. When the passenger side is in full droop I have 2.5 inches of spline in my front shaft and it is still seperating somehow. I THINK it is axle wrap, any suggestions. Thanks
82 truck on 35's locked in front and welded in rear, just in case that helps!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Add an anti wrap leaf (cut down main leaf) on top of the front half of the leaf packs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An anti wrap leaf on top of the main in front of the axle, huh? Taht makes sense to me, How far forward of the axle centerline shoul it be?
If I get the wrap problem fixed I think my slip yoke will be fine, but maybe not, I will definitely consider it.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
I describe my anti-wrap leaf setup on my page:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_suspension-III.shtml#Update-part2

Works well, costs almost nothing:

And what you are describing is *not* axle wrap., unless you are putting torque to the axle while its at full droop. If you are just talking about letting the front axle hang in the air, there is no torque on it and no torque=no wrap. You need a longer slip yoke.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll take a look at your site and by the looks of the picture, you are way ahead of me. I really did not think this would be an issue, but it is. I'm pretty sure it is axle wrap because like I said; at full droop I still have at least 2.5 inches of spline overlap in my front shaft. The only times it did it I was dead in the throttle. I used to be dead in the throttle in the same places when the suspension was stock and I never had this problem. One of my buddies has done the same mod., but he has a v-8 in his and his front pack is alot stiffer for the exta weight. Otherwise the trucks are built the same, this is why I don't think I am far from the mark on mine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4CrawlR,
I took a look at your site and that is exactly what my truck is doing. I know the wheel-hop you described. You are just the guy I was looking for, thank you very much for your help.
Randy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts