Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Antisocial
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting, not needing, a MIG/MAG welder, have experience with a Miller 211/Benard gun combo, not a fan of the Miller. Just browsing around, the two aforementioned brands catch my eye. The Fronius is multi-process, but I couldn't care less about that as I have a Dynasty 200DX and Syncrowave 250 for any TIG/SMAW I'd (almost) ever need to do.

So basically, who has experience with each (or both), that can sway me to one or the other. Also up for other recommendations, not Everlast, from other big names. I don't want, nor care for multi-process machines, Fronius just happens to be one, just need a good MIG welder that I don't have to dick around with.

Mainly be welding <1/4" thick carbon with the occasional oddball stuff thrown in, aluminum is a plus without a need for a push-pull. The pulse on the HTP interests me though, I do miss a spray(?) arc. Easy and clean. Portability is a must, prefer a 110/220v combo but not a deal-breaker.

Forgetting stuff probably, but I'll think about it later. :homer:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't have any experience with the Fronius stuff, but I do have some experience with HTP products

The last tiny machine (on the right), is my Inverarc 200 TLP water-cooled stick welder with a 50ft stinger lead :smokin:

I was just using the PP200 today. It's just an absolutely killer MIG, as is it's big brother the Pro Pulse 300. Previous MIG's I've used: Eastwood MIG175, sold to get a Miller 211 inverter. Bought the ProPulse 300 in July 2018, and I just got rid of the Miller 211 to get the ProPulse 200. As good as the Miller 211 is, the PP200 is even better. Beefier components, more options, slightly smoother arc (which I could not believe because the Miller 211 inverter was extreeeemely smooooth!). Also, I'm not affiliated with HTP, just in case you were wondering (as have others). I'm an average joe, working Mon-Fri at a school, and have bought all of my machines with my own hard earned money. One of the rep's is trying to get me to "join them" to help train others on the use of the ProPulse machines, and I do have time, but I don't have time, at the same time, LOL. Anyways, let me know if you have any questions I can try and answer.

Oh, and I forgot to say that the PP200 does indeed spray. In fact, the Synergic Pulse program for steel needs an argon-rich mix (C8-C10) since it is a spray based process. The machine itself can output up to 35V(!), so it has no trouble for spray transfer.

As I look at the Fronius unit, it looks like a great unit, since it's already a multiprocess machine. I don't know what gun options you have with the TransSteel 2200, but with the HTP ProPulse 200, you can use a
  • 15-Series (very small MIG gun, great for confined spaces, I believe it's a ~180A gun, 10,12,15ft lengths)
  • 24-Series (slightly larger than the 15, but it's still an "average" sized MIG gun, ~200A gun, 10,12,15ft lengths)
  • 26-Series (same dimensions as the 24, but beefier front-end components to handle double-pulse aluminum spray arc welding, ~230A gun, only in 8ft with a graphite liner for aluminum welding)
  • 36-Series (large size factor MIG gun, definitely not for working in small confined spaces, ~320A gun, 10,12,15ft lengths)
  • NOTE: HTP doesn't recommend 15ft gun lengths since that is the usual culprit for feeding issues, and I agree with that train of thought. My PP300 uses a 12ft 36-Series, and my PP200 uses a 10ft 24-Series for steel
On one website, it lists the Fronius drive rolls as having only one groove each, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. I do know the PP200/300 have dual grooves, for a variety of wire sizes. Also, each gun has a plethora of replacement parts that are easily obtainable via HTP. Here is the ProPulse 200 Manual if you want to download it from my Google Drive. The Fronius sure looks like a great unit, and at one point I seeked out US dealers/distributors, but I wasn't too convinced, since they don't have a pronounced presence here in the US. For what the Fronius costs ($400 more than the PP200), you can probably have a fully loaded ProPulse 200 with all steel and aluminum drive rolls including knurled flux-core drive rolls, both a 24 and a 26 gun for steel/aluminum, extra/spare tips/nozzles/diffusers/liners. What can I say, I am happy about my investment.

·
Registered
11,277 Posts
spray arc isn't a setting on the machine, it's a gas choice, and a range in your wire speed and voltage parameters

ETA: inverters might be nice for size, weight and power consumption, but the durability is... always suspect

·
Registered
147 Posts
spray arc isn't a setting on the machine, it's a gas choice, and a range in your wire speed and voltage parameters

ETA: inverters might be nice for size, weight and power consumption, but the durability is... always suspect
I think we can all agree on what spray arc transfer is. :)

Inverters have come a long way, and there are definitely cheap vs expensive inverters. Even a big company like Miller has lots of board failures that can be seen on the Miller Welds forum. Lincoln (and other manufacturers) don't have forums of their own, so it's tough to tell just how many of their inverter boards fail, but I'm sure they do eventually. It's all about getting set-up with a company that will have your back 100% during the warranty period, and also at least some lumbar support after the warranty is up. Both HTP and Fronius fit that bill easily, IMO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a HTP Pro Pulse 200 and couldn't be happier. I ordered it on November 20th and received it the 23rd. 3 days over a holiday! It has to be the easiest mig welder to setup I've ever seen. I opened the box and loaded a 33lb*spool of .035 steel wire, picked the correct program, turn the knob to 1/4" thickness, and it welded a 6" long t weld on 1/4" steel perfectly! I then loaded up some .035 duel shield wire and changed to that program, adjusted the thickness setting and it ran perfect! To run aluminum I have to change the wire, drive rolls, and gun. Takes less then 5 minutes. It also runs great on aluminum. The only minor complaint I have is the drive rolls are stamped with metric sizes. I made a conversion chart and taped it inside the cover by the feeder.
I also looked at the Fronius TranSteel 2200 before I bought the Pro Pulse 200 but only found 1 review and one dealer selling them online in the US. I think the Fronius is a good machine but lacks the customer service that HTP has, so I went with HTP. HTP's customer service is next to none. When I ordered my machine I told them what I wanted to weld with the machine and they sent me everything I needed. Is was very satisfying to talk to someone that actually knew the machine and what extras I needed to do what I wanted. I've purchased Miller welders from local welding stores in the past and was never impressed with the knowledge or the customer service.

·
Antisocial
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have any experience with the Fronius stuff, but I do have some experience with HTP products

The last tiny machine (on the right), is my Inverarc 200 TLP water-cooled stick welder with a 50ft stinger lead :smokin:

I was just using the PP200 today. It's just an absolutely killer MIG, as is it's big brother the Pro Pulse 300. Previous MIG's I've used: Eastwood MIG175, sold to get a Miller 211 inverter. Bought the ProPulse 300 in July 2017, and I just got rid of the Miller 211 to get the ProPulse 200. As good as the Miller 211 is, the PP200 is even better. Beefier components, more options, slightly smoother arc (which I could not believe because the Miller 211 inverter was extreeeemely smooooth!). Also, I'm not affiliated with HTP, just in case you were wondering (as have others). I'm an average joe, working Mon-Fri at a school, and have bought all of my machines with my own hard earned money. One of the rep's is trying to get me to "join them" to help train others on the use of the ProPulse machines, and I do have time, but I don't have time, at the same time, LOL. Anyways, let me know if you have any questions I can try and answer.

Oh, and I forgot to say that the PP200 does indeed spray. In fact, the Synergic Pulse program for steel needs an argon-rich mix (C8-C10) since it is a spray based process. The machine itself can output up to 35V(!), so it has no trouble for spray transfer.

As I look at the Fronius unit, it looks like a great unit, since it's already a multiprocess machine. I don't know what gun options you have with the TransSteel 2200, but with the HTP ProPulse 200, you can use a
  • 15-Series (very small MIG gun, great for confined spaces, I believe it's a ~180A gun, 10,12,15ft lengths)
  • 24-Series (slightly larger than the 15, but it's still an "average" sized MIG gun, ~200A gun, 10,12,15ft lengths)
  • 26-Series (same dimensions as the 24, but beefier front-end components to handle double-pulse aluminum spray arc welding, ~230A gun, only in 8ft with a graphite liner for aluminum welding)
  • 36-Series (large size factor MIG gun, definitely not for working in small confined spaces, ~320A gun, 10,12,15ft lengths)
  • NOTE: HTP doesn't recommend 15ft gun lengths since that is the usual culprit for feeding issues, and I agree with that train of thought. My PP300 uses a 12ft 36-Series, and my PP200 uses a 10ft 24-Series for steel
On one website, it lists the Fronius drive rolls as having only one groove each, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. I do know the PP200/300 have dual grooves, for a variety of wire sizes. Also, each gun has a plethora of replacement parts that are easily obtainable via HTP. Here is the ProPulse 200 Manual if you want to download it from my Google Drive. The Fronius sure looks like a great unit, and at one point I seeked out US dealers/distributors, but I wasn't too convinced, since they don't have a pronounced presence here in the US. For what the Fronius costs ($400 more than the PP200), you can probably have a fully loaded ProPulse 200 with all steel and aluminum drive rolls including knurled flux-core drive rolls, both a 24 and a 26 gun for steel/aluminum, extra/spare tips/nozzles/diffusers/liners. What can I say, I am happy about my investment.
How would you compare it (PP200) to the Miller 211? The 211 I've found to be inconsistent, some days it seems to weld great, other times it's so-so. I greatly despise MIG, I always feel like I'm fighting the machine, all the time. I'd like to get the larger version, but the price increase I can't manage. The auto-set on the Miller isn't that great either, bad enough I'd never think about using it. Is the HTP pretty good in that regard?

·
Registered
147 Posts
How would you compare it (PP200) to the Miller 211? The 211 I've found to be inconsistent, some days it seems to weld great, other times it's so-so. I greatly despise MIG, I always feel like I'm fighting the machine, all the time. I'd like to get the larger version, but the price increase I can't manage. The auto-set on the Miller isn't that great either, bad enough I'd never think about using it. Is the HTP pretty good in that regard?
The PP200 is better than the Miller 211 inverter MIG in almost every respect except for size, and price, obviously. Mine worked great but it had this one "thing" that others have found as well: the drive motor assembly wobbles a bit causing inconsistent feeding at times, if you didn't compensate by adding more than 1/2 of the tension downpressure it is capable of. Granted this was more obvious when trying to push through a 15ft mig gun than the stock 10ft mig gun, but none the less it was there, and it was something that I had to be conscious about, so I hear ya when you say you feel like you're fighting the machine. But when I did have the tension set just right to overcome the wobbling drive roll, man I really did like the smooth arc and the simplicity of it all! Fortunately the larger and newer Millers feature a much more robust drive assembly, some of which are geared so both bottom and top rollers push the wire, so I'm sure that helps a great deal.

I'm not sure if you had the older transformer 211 or the inverter 211, but the inverter 211 had a very nice AutoSet curves programmed in there, IMO. I hardly ever took it out of of AutoSet, I liked it so much. If I didn't have that damned drive roll wobble causing feeding issues on a 15ft gun, I would still be using it, or I'd have likely given it to my dad since I had bought the PP300 in the summer of '18 anyway. That being said, the HTP hit it out of the ballpark with the PP200. It was out of stock for almost all of 2017-2018 because each shipment was sold out as soon as it was received, unless you were on the waiting list! Now that is crazy! I'm running it through a 10ft 24-gun (~220-230A gun), no more 15ft'ers for me after my fiasco with the 211, LOL. 10ft is just a good upper limit for a two-drive roll feeder (one driving, one rolling pressure). 12ft+ is pushing it, as I've come to find out. It feeds great and they're not lying that it is virtually spatter free (except self shielded flux core of course), even with the built-in synergic programs! My only gripe with the PP200 is that they don't have knurled rollers for 0.030 flux core wire, and thus no synergic program for that size flux core. The 0.035" knurled flux core drive roll will still run it though, you just have to play with the wirefeed and voltage. All in all, the PP200 out-classes the Miller 211 even though the 211 can do 3/8" in a single pass, and the PP200 is only rated to 1/4". It still runs damn hot though, I wouldn't doubt 3/8" is out of it's capability.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I agree on miller auto set being great. Seems like a lot of people scoff at it but on my Multimatic 200 it’s almost always welding right and always close enough that you can bump the settings up a little/down a little. That little machine is perfect until it runs out of duty cycle. I’ve had and have transformer migs and the auto set has me spoiled. Besides being a new arrival I’m thinking the Millermatic/Multimatic 255s look awesome. I can’t wait to get one

·
Registered
147 Posts
I agree on miller auto set being great. Seems like a lot of people scoff at it but on my Multimatic 200 it’s almost always welding right and always close enough that you can bump the settings up a little/down a little. That little machine is perfect until it runs out of duty cycle. I’ve had and have transformer migs and the auto set has me spoiled. Besides being a new arrival I’m thinking the Millermatic/Multimatic 255s look awesome. I can’t wait to get one
From what I've seen, the new Millermatic 255 has the beefier drive motor assembly, where as the Multimatic 220 has the smaller assembly that is seemingly shared with the 211. I find that one questionable if you get a "sloppy" one. Mine had a wobble, Miller service center said it was normal, I ended up buying a new one for $50 and it too had a wobble. It still worked but I hated that wobble because I had to use nearly 4 on the tension knob. Not all are "sloppy" of course; we have one at my work for a small project, and it runs pretty true and there are no issues with it. I ended up buying the ProPulse 300 while my 211 was being serviced in the summer of last year, and then I just recently sold my 211 for a ProPulse 200. :D

They do look like great performers (the 220 and 255), especially since the 220 has AC high-freq TIG welding AND stick welding. That's something that the HTP ProPulse 200 doesn't have, but that's because they offer the "lunchbox" Inverarc 200 TLP which is awesome in it's own respect. But the Multimatic 220 is $1000 more.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I’ve never had the slightest feed problem with the mm200 but it only has a 10’ gun. Come with a sweet bernard gun that I’m stoked on but hate the shortness of it. I’ve been meaning to get a 15’ ever since I’ve had it. I think I remember it having a more robust drive than the 211s but not sure. I was told it would run a 15’ gun fine if it wasn’t the very early one which mine barely isn’t so I think they upgraded it.
Anyway I would highly recommend the Multimatic 200. The weight and durable case make it awesome for portability which is why I got it and say what you will about not liking multiprocess machines but being able to throw a stick lead in there on the fly comes in handy to me pretty often.
The htp stuff looks awesome too but I feel like Miller stuff is always easy to sell for good money because everyone perceives it as top notch which is important to me as well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I know not too many here have HTP Pro Pulse MIG's, but for the few that do, I got this in my email today and didn't want to start a thread about it since this thread was already about it:

I called and asked just out of curiosity what in the world they planned on doing with the Pro Pulse 200's and 220's that they would be getting back on trade-in's, and they said they will simply be re-sold as pre-owned with a good discount, depending on what condition they are in. They will even have a warranty, but not the full warranty. Probably 12mo on the pre-owned units. Not affiliated with HTP, I'm strictly an end-user hobbyist here (I work at a school in Texas), just FYI in case anyone was on the fence for a Pro Pulse unit. I thought this was pretty cool, as I don't think any major player in the welding industry (Miller, Esab, Fronius, Kemppi, Lincoln, Everlast, etc, etc) offers something like this.

·
Antisocial
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know not too many here have HTP Pro Pulse MIG's, but for the few that do, I got this in my email today and didn't want to start a thread about it since this thread was already about it:
[…]
Saw that, still seems kind of odd to me. I don't have the funds to make the switch, but would like to. I take care of my shit, so mine still looks new.

On a unrelated note, I do like the HTP a lot more than the Miller 211 as far as arc characteristics, but overall build quality is meh on some parts for the price. PVC spool spacer, cheap feeling/looking parts on the gun assembly, etc. I do wish they'd just put four drive rolls in all machines, but that's probably asking too much.

I tried sourcing a Bernard gun for it, but didn't find any as small as I wanted. I hate the threaded contact tips and slip on nozzle it came with.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Saw that, still seems kind of odd to me. I don't have the funds to make the switch, but would like to. I take care of my shit, so mine still looks new.

On a unrelated note, I do like the HTP a lot more than the Miller 211 as far as arc characteristics, but overall build quality is meh on some parts for the price. PVC spool spacer, cheap feeling/looking parts on the gun assembly, etc. I do wish they'd just put four drive rolls in all machines, but that's probably asking too much.

I tried sourcing a Bernard gun for it, but didn't find any as small as I wanted. I hate the threaded contact tips and slip on nozzle it came with.
I hear ya. True story:

when I got my Pro Pulse 300 last July in 2018, I was kinda surprised, to say the least, they their Swiss-made 4-roller drive roll system was plastic(!). I mean, it didn't look like cheap plastic, but none the less it is some kind of "beefy" plastic, if there ever was such a thing. I bought it before my PP200's so I didn't know they were not metal/cast parts. After the initial shock subsided, I said to myself "I really don't think they'd leave something like this un-checked to compromise the operation of such an advanced machine", especially when it could tarnish their great online presence/reputation. To my surprise, it worked very very well. So the shock went the other way -- I was like hmm, this stuff works pretty good! Doesn't seem to matter that it is not metal/cast. Even pumping out 0.035" aluminum wire from a 12" 20lb spool through the 10ft water-cooled MIG gun, never skipped a beat after the tension was properly set. My Miller 211 inverter had feeding issues, and it had a metal drive motor assembly system, so in the end it comes down to quality engineering and good quality control for final selected components that actually go into the machine, IMO. As for 4-roller drive system in all machines, that would drive the price up considerably I would think. It's like an advanced vehicle feature/engine. Can't get a Ford GT engine option for a Focus. You need to buy the Ford GT, LOL. But even the standard dual-roller (or single drive, however you wanna call it) on the PP200 units can still dish out the aluminum on the double-pulse synergic program (WeldingJunkie on YouTube demonstrated this), which they say isn't recommended. So all in all, it's not all that bad.

I'm not too picky on the consumables, but sometimes I do dislike the slip on nozzle, but then again, many MIG guns are like that.

·
Antisocial
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hear ya. True story:

[…]
I don't think it's that hard to make a four drive roll without drastically increasing the price, but I'm no cosmetologist.
I've used Bernard guns for awhile now, and they feel so much better. I broke the insulator on the neck on the HTP very shortly after I got it, but I had bought another gun assembly due to them shipping the wrong one with the machine, so it wasn't that big a deal. (Low quality plastic) Also, the trigger on the gun has an insane almost 3/8" pull vs the Bernard's 1/8" maybe. Just subtle stuff that annoys me. But I've gotten pretty used to it and enjoy it overall.

Is there anyway to turn off the stupid beeping? I can live with the startup beeps, but every time I turn a knob? I can read that I'm changing settings, don't need audio confirmation to that as well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't think it's that hard to make a four drive roll without drastically increasing the price, but I'm no cosmetologist.
I've used Bernard guns for awhile now, and they feel so much better. I broke the insulator on the neck on the HTP very shortly after I got it, but I had bought another gun assembly due to them shipping the wrong one with the machine, so it wasn't that big a deal. (Low quality plastic) Also, the trigger on the gun has an insane almost 3/8" pull vs the Bernard's 1/8" maybe. Just subtle stuff that annoys me. But I've gotten pretty used to it and enjoy it overall.

Is there anyway to turn off the stupid beeping? I can live with the startup beeps, but every time I turn a knob? I can read that I'm changing settings, don't need audio confirmation to that as well.
I haven't seen any way, but I can ask a fellow PP200 user.

Edit: I asked the most experienced PP200 user that I am acquainted with, and there does not seem to be a way. Unless you open it up and find the little buzzer unit and disconnect it, perhaps.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I then loaded up some .035 duel shield wire and changed to that program, adjusted the thickness setting and it ran perfect!
Just FYI, I'm gonna experiment with custom making some longer nozzles to see if I can get away with using less shielding gas with dual-shield (40 CFH is a lot!). The longer CTWD nature of dual-shield sure does consume a lot more gas! I'm gonna lengthen them so as to have the nozzle orifice a lot closer to the weld joint so it will look like short-circuit CTWD, but the longer custom nozzle will actually have the contact tip much further away from the opening to maintain the necessary CTWD (3/4"-1"), but also having the nozzle opening much closer to the work to [hopefully] minimize shielding gas consumption. I'll let you know how it goes if you're interested.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just got this promotion in my email today; I wish I would have waited to buy mine!! Look at all this crap they're giving away with their Pro Pulse 220 MTS! And possibly a $200 store-credit for more free stuff ?!?! It's on their website as well. Ugh! Time to make some phone calls!! These guys are nuts!! Basically, they're setting up the machine for you for steel and aluminum welding (both guns), including dual shield flux core, and for stick as well! Jeez. :eek: Hope some of you all take advantage of this promo, I didn't get none of that crap when I got mine, lol.

·
Registered
147 Posts
In case anyone is interested, got this HTP promo in my email today:

They've been running a lot of promo's as of late, they must be staying busy!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Oscar!
Thanks for the abundant info on HTP propulse. Do you know for sure if these machines are made in Italy? I am searching who sells them here in Europe and can't find anyone. Really surprised about that... not even Amazon Italy. Also, the DC TIG function -- is it lift-arc or does it also have HF arc start?
Best regards,
Branimir
(a novice looking for a good all-in-one).

·
Registered
1 Posts
In case anyone is interested, got this HTP promo in my email today:

They've been running a lot of promo's as of late, they must be staying busy!
Hello Oscar,

Or is it “Peter” from HTP? Why are you constantly on these forums lying to everyone about your affiliation with HTP? Every post you make are about HTP and how HTP are better than miller and HTP guns are best and about how you’re not affiliated with HTP yet I just caught you slipping on another forum (not that anyone with an IQ over 90 wouldn’t instantly realize. Below is one of your countless fake posts on welding tips and tricks. Your poor choice of words busted you. “I can’t offer a warranty though.” But let’s see here “Oscar” you’re not affiliated with HTP right? lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts