Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm getting tired of my leaf springs up front not flexing enough....so i'm wondering about doing a 4 link up front.....got a YJ, 100" WB (XJ springs in rear), sprung over, d44's front and rear...i wanna leave the leafs in the rear for the predictablity of them, and the fact they climb well and trasfer power like they're supposed to....MY QUESTION IS....if i throw together a 4 link up front, with just the uppers trianglated....no vertical seperation at the frame end, about 8" at the axle end, with the uppers completly flat, how will it handle? this is with coils BTW, and probably a currie antirock or something.....do i have to worry about squat and anti squat up front?

regards,
nathan Hamler.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
I think it will work. You do need to worry about antisquat or in this situation antidive. I think the magic number for antidive in the front is around 120%. What you need to do is put the point at the frame where they converge at that point.

Do you have full hydro? If not then this will cause quite a bit of bump steer.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
waht leafs are yo urunning? if all you need is a little more flex tehn some other springs are your cheap ticket. mine flexes plenty and i even think it is a little too much. soa on stock plus a main.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gumbo, i'm running stock leaves up front, with multiple aal's.....they've started to sag over the years...no shackle reversal....the front wont drop much at all, and i dont even have bump stops up front, b/c the spring wont even compress to flat! erik, why do you think that having coils up front would cause bump steer? b/c the lowers aren't triangulated? so anti dive is the same as anti squat....it's what happens when you give it the gas.....or what happens when you hit the brakes?

regards,
Nathan hamler.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
stock with several AAL's?no wonder they wont flex to flat!

damn bro go get you soem stock wagy springs of some HD CJ rears.

like i said, i have stock wrangler sprrings with one extra main leaf. i have the clamps loosened up a bit (you run the risk of bending the main leaf though.)

i went 1100 on a 23* ramp. but you know what they say about ramps.

do a search on "SOA* springs"

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
yjweldor said:
erik, why do you think that having coils up front would cause bump steer? b/c the lowers aren't triangulated? so anti dive is the same as anti squat....it's what happens when you give it the gas.....or what happens when you hit the brakes?

regards,
Nathan hamler.
If you run a link type suspension without a panhard it will cause major bumpsteer. When the suspension moves up and down with even regular use that will cause the draglink to get shorter and longer thus causing bumpsteer. A panhard would help that.

Antidive is the same as antisquat. The differnce is that the rear will want to go away from the body (antisquat) and the front will want to go into the body theoretically (antidive). When you give it gas the front will want to pull the body down and the axle up. When you hit the brakes it will want to push the body up and the axle down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts