Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried the Dana expert but I guess it doesn't go back far enough for me to get my info.. Still searching, but in the mean time, maybe somebody could help me out. need axle shaft lenth info for BOM # 603478-3 also exactly what year and model I.H. it came from.. Front dana 44..

Thanks..:D

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Here it is

200,1200/ 3/4 ton pickup & station wagon
1973 1/2 - 75 (WITH LEFT HAND STEERING)

standard diff (no limited slip) 3.73

Right axle shaft assembly part number 28173-5 (uses 297-joint)
overall length 26 15/16"

Inner shaft gear end
major spline diameter 1 5/16" - 30 spline
centerline to end of spline 18 9/64"
inner shaft part number (only inner) 27902-23x

outer shaft (stub)
major spline diameter 1 1/4" -19 spline
centerline to end of spline 8 51/64"
outer shaft part number (stub) 36666

Left axle shaft assembly part number 28173-6x (uses 297- joint)
overall length 44 7/16"

inner shaft gear end
major spline diameter 1 5/16" - 30 spline
centerline to end of spline 35 41/64"
inner shaft part number (only inner) 27902-24x

outer shaft (stub)
major spline diameter 1 1/4" -19 spline
centerline to end of spline 8 51/64"
outer shaft part number (stub) 36666

LEFT HAND STEERING? Are the knuckles still intact?

Hope this helps,

Dan

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Heep-II said:
I've tried the Dana expert but I guess it doesn't go back far enough for me to get my info.. Still searching, but in the mean time, maybe somebody could help me out. need axle shaft lenth info for BOM # 603478-3 also exactly what year and model I.H. it came from.. Front dana 44..

Thanks..:D
Heep-II, does that one have flatop knuckles? Pics?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, the axle was purchased complete. Yup, flat top knucles. Used all of it except the steering rods. 8 bolt knucles, and 8 lug pattern disks. swapped the gears for 5-13s and rotated the knucles and machined the center section for 7 degrees of caster, then sent one complete side (From inner knucle out ) to W.M.S. and they drilled and tapped the knucles, and used my stuff to build their first set of high steer arms for hummer wheels on a 44. Heim ends on tapped solid bar steering rods, agr steering, with their version of the sams off road pitman arm ( 2 in thick bar, with the correct spline and hole for rod end, then the heavy steering box bracket from sams off road ) The agr box is actually part of a complete rock ram system I swapped for a cage that I built and installed. Thought I'd wait to install the ram portion of it till it made it's first few runs, then figure out where I'd mount it. I'll try and get some pic's up later today..

Thanks for all of the great info. Who will have the axles since scout II stuff will not work. ?? Any Ideas on trail spares ?? On the aftermarket side, warn blanks to dutchman then ?? Or is the tollerances such that I can use something else ??

·
Registered
802 Posts
Well, rather than start yet another BOM thread, I have an older BOM that I cant seem to get any info on. It's a D44 GM front, the # is 603333 1 ....Anyone???:confused:

-Thanks!

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Heep-II said:
Yup, the axle was purchased complete. Yup, flat top knucles.
I'd love some pics of the flat tops. Do you have internial or external hubs?

Heep-II said:
Thanks for all of the great info. Who will have the axles since scout II stuff will not work. ?? Any Ideas on trail spares ??
I've Ford & FSJ shaft lenght listed in my Dana 44 article, but from those numbers I'm guessing you'll need Chevy Dana 44 parts. If it has a 297 type U-joint the Chevy axle will be a 29833-1x or 2x with 18.5" and 36 1/8"
Dodge has too much to list, but with 297 U-joints the stub side will be too short (18 5/16, 17 3/4, 16 29/32, 16 7/64) but the long side is close (36 28/32, 36 1/4, 37 3/32, 36 1/2) Maybe Dan can list the years?

Dan, have you ever seen BOM info older than 67? I've some contacts at Dana and they can't find info or catalogs listing older info. Guess we'll have to start hunting used book stores. ;)

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
DM said:
Well, rather than start yet another BOM thread, I have an older BOM that I cant seem to get any info on. It's a D44 GM front, the # is 603333 1 ....Anyone???
Can you double check your BOM? I'm guessing if the number is correct it's a 71 maybe a 72 axle. How sure are you its a Chevy axle?

Best I could do was a 603633, but is Jeep

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, thought you might ask the internal external question.. thought about adding it after I'd posted.. external..

All the pics I have already have the high mount steering mounted, is this ok ?? I'll move them to a web site and post them soon..

I'm sure I'll have more questions later. desparately need to locate some spares for my jeep. Let me think it through so I don't waste your time with pointless blather..How much tolerance should I consider o.k. ??

Jeff

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Mr.N said:

Dan, have you ever seen BOM info older than 67? I've some contacts at Dana and they can't find info or catalogs listing older info. Guess we'll have to start hunting used book stores. ;)
I have two Dana axle books 1967-79 and 1979- 00 I havent seen anthing older than the 67 one.

Dan

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Heep-II said:
Let me know if you want any other views.

Jeff
Jeff, thanks for posting. If your replacing the axle sahft some day, snap a pic of the knuckle with the caliper plate off. Thanks, if you don't mind I'll grap a shot for my Dana 44 flat top article. So far I've just shots of complete IH alxes with flatops, but I do have both style hubs on a flat top :D

Edit -> Are thoses arms for Hummer rims?

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Dan Dibble said:
I have two Dana axle books 1967-79 and 1979- 00 I havent seen anthing older than the 67 one.
Have the catalog number for 79-00? (Or is it the Chevy only book?)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts