Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Mr.N said:
Can you double check your BOM? I'm guessing if the number is correct it's a 71 maybe a 72 axle. How sure are you its a Chevy axle?

Best I could do was a 603633, but is Jeep
yeah, the BOM is clearly visible, I double checked it. It's a 67.5 WMS-2-WMS, GM Dana 44. I cleaned the birds nests out of the knuckles and it looks like it has the 260X and I just opened and checked inside. The ring gear has a 72 date on it, so it sounds as though you are right. Thanks!

HeepII, sorry for hi-jacking your thread, though you did get your info, so it's all good;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Mr N.

Will do, happy to help you. Use all the pics you like. Yes the arms are high steer arms built by wagoner machine shop especially for use with hummer wheels. 1st photo shows how they all come together.

Jeff

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Mr N.

Think your contacts at Dana could punch up the lenths of the axle shafts, and come up with some uasable info on which axle parts I can use to order spares, and upgrade the outters to 27 spline ? or by some miracle will mine still be avail. somewhere ??

Was the post on the chevy and doge stuff for me or dm ??

Just a thought....:D

Kinda wished I'd just used a chevy axle now.... Everybody on the planet offers oe and aftermarket replacements for them....Off the shelf..

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Mr.N said:
Have the catalog number for 79-00? (Or is it the Chevy only book?)
The bom book I have from spicer for 79-99 not 00. It is called axle general information part number xgi-99

It has bom, gear number, axle length, diam, spline count, misc. kit numbers. for model 28-80 all manufactures. But no specific vehicle info. You will need the Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Jeep books for that info.

Dan

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Heep-II said:
Mr N.

Think your contacts at Dana could punch up the lenths of the axle shafts, ..
I thought I covered this?????

Right axle shaft assembly part number 28173-5 (uses 297-joint)
overall length 26 15/16"

Inner shaft gear end
major spline diameter 1 5/16" - 30 spline
centerline to end of spline 18 9/64"
inner shaft part number (only inner) 27902-23x

outer shaft (stub)
major spline diameter 1 1/4" -19 spline
centerline to end of spline 8 51/64"
outer shaft part number (stub) 36666

Left axle shaft assembly part number 28173-6x (uses 297- joint)
overall length 44 7/16"

inner shaft gear end
major spline diameter 1 5/16" - 30 spline
centerline to end of spline 35 41/64"
inner shaft part number (only inner) 27902-24x

outer shaft (stub)
major spline diameter 1 1/4" -19 spline
centerline to end of spline 8 51/64"
outer shaft part number (stub) 36666

Spicer has not sold this stuff in years. I gave you the lengths so you coud have some made or shortened and replined. I think the stubs are still avail under anothr number.

http://www.ring-pinion.com/

Dan

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Dan,

The info you gave me is awesome !! But you didn't say the stuff wasn't around anymore tho. That's why I asked. Never had to buy axle shafts for something this oddball before so I didn't know what the availability might be..

Didn't know if there was some special interest place that might have them reasonably, but I've used the info to check into a lot of other options so far including warn, moser, dutchman, sunray, and just recently a dana distributor checking into cross reference on part # conversions..

AGAIN..

Thanks TONS for the great info..

Jeff

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So no benifit to having 27 spline vs 19 ?? Same outside diameter on shaft splines. my understanding is since the fine splines are not as deep then the shaft would be stronger than the deeper 19. ??

If this isn't right please set me straight. :D

19 spline would be fine with me since I already have them if this is the case, more spares with less stuff to carry

·
Granite Guru
3,288 Posts
This is from a post a few months ago in the IH forum. Scout = 27 spline, Dodge (and ford & chevy) = 19 spline.

TORC said:
Scout D44 stub shaft diameter (splined area) 1.160" (external hubs)
1.055" between splines and bearing surface
1.315" at bearing surface

Dodge D44 stub shaft diameter (splined area) 1.25" (internal hubs)
1.125" between splines and bearing surface
1.315" at bearing surface

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
so i guess there would be no difference in my external 19 spline outters and the gm, dodge internal ones ??

wow.. who'da thought it....

That is very cool. so no benifit on the aftermarket side in reguards to 19-vs-27 ya think ?? are these #s fairly standardized ??

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Heep-II said:
Yes the arms are high steer arms built by wagoner machine shop especially for use with hummer wheels. 1st photo shows how they all come together.
So you don't need to use a spacer, no? How do you like them?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Giberhard,

The arms were built by Wagoner machine shop www.wagonermachine.com

Speak to Casy... These were built for a 44 to clear hummer wheels... These folks are awesome to work with....

If I have something I need they are the go to folks I always seem to start with.. Lot of my buddies have used them too with great results.. The arms can be built for use with either hiems or 1 ton tie rod end applications..

B.T.W.

They make tie rods and drag links outta solid bar stock that are damed near indestructible too..

G'luck..

Lemmie know how it works for ya !

Jeff

21 - 34 of 34 Posts