Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I finally decided waht kinda tire I want and it seems as though most guys with pit bulls wouldn't trade them for the world so I'm going to give them a try. Now I know running a tire that big will take a lil more then a stock axle. So my questions is other then on my list of upgrades below what have I missed?
-Longs
-Hub gears
-Rebuild kit
-Rock rings (no dust sheilds)
-Trussed and armoured
-Ram assitst
-High steer
-Gears
-Hub studs or just a higher grade?

Now what kinda brakes do most of you guys with tires that big run? Ifs, vented, stock, ?????
Am I missing anything else. I wanna make sure so I can order everything all at once. Just wanna double check with the big dogs on here b4 i go ahead and do so. I'm almost sure I got everything. Thanx for the help
I did search but couldn't find anyhting that I missed on here.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
If your ordering ARP hub studs you might consider getting the ARP Knuckle studs also to accompany the assist. Other than that sounds like the makins for a pretty mean front axle. Do you have any thing already 3rd, lockers ect? You may consider a 1ton front end if your startin from scratch...

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
Be prepared to buy R&P sets. I don't hammer mine as hard as some, [cough] Dave Cole [cough], but I've still stripped a HP front and a V6 rear. I'm now running cryro'd gears from Bobby Long, on a recommendation from Dave Cole's competition experience. So far so good, but if they blow again, I'm going 1 ton's or Diamond 9's.

I'm on 38.5 SX's (which really only measure about 37"), so you have about 6%more rolling circumference, but the added weight of that heavy-ass tire + the bigger circumference is going to lead to a lot of added strain on your drivetrain. I'm sure there are those that will chime in with, "I'm running 42's win no problems", but I keep seeing R&P's letting go with tires bigger than 37's. It took me 4 years of hard wheeling, so it's acceptable breakage AFIC, you just gotta make up your own mind how much breakage is acceptable.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
well since you didnt include a locker in there you might as well just run it stock

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome keep it coming. Sorry forgot to mention I got an aussie right now for a locker but that was for when I was runnning 32's... Think it would hold up to 39's? I don't know. I was unsure of the six shooter weather it was worth the money or not but it seems as though most of you big dogs recomend it so I'll have to go that route. I haven't started on any diff yet but I do drive soft and I don't think I'm as hard on things as some ppl on here so I'm hoping the yota diff will do just fine. If not I'll go straight to a 609. Thanx for the recomendation on the cryo from bobby. I'll order that up when I get my axles ordered up. Well so far looks like this thing is going to be bad ass. I got alot of front yota diffs to so if something goes completely wrong I can always swap it out to another diff housing and rebrace it.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
you dont need ram assit just go to the gym and build up your arms just kidding sounds like you covered all the basics

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
would it be, I don't think cost "effective" but money "better" spent on a 609 housing or maybe a diamond at this point?

I think the majority of us use the stock 8" axle because that is what we started with and slowly upgraded so scrapping it isn't cost effective. I know that if I had to build a whole new front axle again and planned on running 39's, I certainly wouldn't be starting with an OEM front housing and dumping a few grand into it.

Just me:smokin:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But if i don't need the brute of a diamond why get it? I'm very light on the right foot so i think the toy diff will more then suffice. Now if they made pit bulls bigger then i would lol.

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
But if i don't need the brute of a diamond why get it? I'm very light on the right foot so i think the toy diff will more then suffice. Now if they made pit bulls bigger then i would lol.
This sound familiar to anybody? :laughing:

·
Registered
454 Posts
diamonds are expensive. I guess when it is not your $$$ it is easy to say get a diamond.

I say get 9" with dana 60 outers.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Toyota 8" vs. 37's:
Everything you have listed but hub gears. Detroit and 5.29's gone.

·
noob
1,227 Posts
If you have aspirations of ever putting a bigger powerplant in go to a bigger axle. If you are going to stay with a fairly stock 22r then build the toy. It will save you $ in the long run to plan ahead now.

·
Premium Member
17,818 Posts
Be prepared to buy R&P sets. I don't hammer mine as hard as some, [cough] Dave Cole [cough], but I've still stripped a HP front and a V6 rear. I'm now running cryro'd gears from Bobby Long, on a recommendation from Dave Cole's competition experience. So far so good, but if they blow again, I'm going 1 ton's or Diamond 9's.

I'm on 38.5 SX's (which really only measure about 37"), so you have about 6%more rolling circumference, but the added weight of that heavy-ass tire + the bigger circumference is going to lead to a lot of added strain on your drivetrain. I'm sure there are those that will chime in with, "I'm running 42's win no problems", but I keep seeing R&P's letting go with tires bigger than 37's. It took me 4 years of hard wheeling, so it's acceptable breakage AFIC, you just gotta make up your own mind how much breakage is acceptable.

I'd wager that the SXs weigh more than the pitbulls:)

1 - 20 of 111 Posts