Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2003 Wrangler a couple weeks ago. I noticed both the front and rear pinion seals were leaking a bit when I bought it - no big deal, I figured, should be easy enough to replace. But is it coincidence that they both are leaking at the same time (keeping in mind I don't know if they started leaking at the same time) or might there be an underlying issue to cause that? The vehicle only has 50,000 miles on it.

Having said that, I've never replaced a pinion seal. It looks fairly straightforward. I guess I just have to disconnect the u-joint and remove the driveshaft? Is the seal for the front the same as for the rear? Is there anything else I should know before I try to do this on my own? How long should this job take someone who's mechanically inclined but has no experience in this specific task?

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I bought a 2003 Wrangler a couple weeks ago. I noticed both the front and rear pinion seals were leaking a bit when I bought it - no big deal, I figured, should be easy enough to replace. But is it coincidence that they both are leaking at the same time (keeping in mind I don't know if they started leaking at the same time) or might there be an underlying issue to cause that? The vehicle only has 50,000 miles on it.

Having said that, I've never replaced a pinion seal. It looks fairly straightforward. I guess I just have to disconnect the u-joint and remove the driveshaft? Is the seal for the front the same as for the rear? Is there anything else I should know before I try to do this on my own? How long should this job take someone who's mechanically inclined but has no experience in this specific task?
d30 and d35? if so....get used to it:flipoff2:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Those axles have a crush sleeve. From what I'm told when changing the seals the backlash should be reset.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It's pinion bearing preload that has to be set correctly, when you remove and replace the yoke. R & R'ing the yoke is necessary to replacing the seal.
Your '03 diffs have a "crush sleeve", that gets crushed when installed, to set preload. The amount of "crush" is determined by using the proper torque wrench to determine proper bearing preload. During initial install, it's easy to over torque the pinion nut, resulting in a need to replace the crush sleeve. So, if you do the job, have at least two new crush sleeves on hand before you start.
I'd suggest you get a re-build manual for your diff, and become familiar with what's needed to set pinion pr-load.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts